Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sand Patch - First Timer

Date: 09/18/12 12:48
Sand Patch - First Timer
Author: bigjim4life

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I did do a search, but there's so much information out there, I was hoping to get a shorter, less-complicated version from the fine folks here on TO.

I'm contemplating heading out to the Sand Patch area for a day/afternoon of railfanning. I've seen that some areas are "gravel road" areas, other areas require hiking. Since I'm driving a Mitsubishi Galant (not an off-roader vehicle) - where are some good places to park (safely) where I can walk/hike a bit to get some of the good Sand Patch shots? There's only so much Google Maps "Satellite View" that I can use to plan a trip like that with, and I'd rather hear from some people with personal experience. So, where can I park my Galant rather safely and hike to get some good shots?

I've seen that some shots can be had in Meyersdale, and along the Great Allegheny Passage, there looks like a spot where I could park, and walk a bit to get trackside along the trail...anywhere else? Thanks in advance!

Date: 09/18/12 15:16
Re: Sand Patch - First Timer
Author: birdman

The unpaved roads along Sandpatch Grade are usually navigable by any vehicle if you take your time and don't speed. The exception is the gravel road on the south side of the railroad from Glencoe (Tooland Rd.) to Fairhope. That road takes you to the overlook at Foley, is pretty rough, and requires decent clearance.
Here are some easily accessed spots.
1. In the town of Hyndman near the two grade crossings.
2. West out of Hyndman to the grade crossing at Fairhope. Two viewing platforms, one at - one near, the grade crossing.
3. West out of Glencoe along tracks to two grade crossings at Philson.
4. Mance.
5. Sand Patch Summit - highway bridge over tracks.
6. Keystone grade crossing 1.5 miles west of Sandpatch summit.
7. Meyersdale - station and overhead bridge west of station.
8. Western Maryland Salisbury Viaduct about 2-3 miles west of Meyersdale. Walk out onto the viaduct and shoot down on CSX main. It's perfectly safe as it is a hiking and bicycle path now.

Date: 09/18/12 15:16
Author: SVTS

Most places on Sand Patch, you can do in a car. About the only exception is from Fairhope to Glencoe. The dirt road that takes you to Foley between these two locations is rough to say the least. I have a Suburban and ended up with a flat at Glencoe. Mance is a dirt road, but not bad. Keep in mind though Mance is Private Property, as is the location in Hyndman where the caboose is. Some must see locations:

Fairhope (AM) - Park at the grade crossing, there is a little observation platform sitting on top of the hill. great shot for morning eastbounds coming through the "S" curve.

Fall Cut Tunnel (AM) - About a mile west of Fairhope. Continue on the road from Fairhope, and take your first left. This road will wind it's way over near the tunnel. The road will turn sharply to the right, park on the side and walk down the old road. About a 5 minute walk. (Consult google maps for this location).

Make sure you have some maps printed off. Several roads are required to get uyou to the top from Fairhope, but they are also fairly well marked with signs. Glencoe is not worth the trip, no good spot there.

Mance is a good spot, but can be difficult this time of year with the sun being lower in the sky. Manilla is just west of Mance, and the east portal for Sand Patch Tunnel is just beyond Mance. Coming west from Mance on the road, there will be a dirt road leading to the tracks at Manilla.

Sandpatch - On top of the mountain runs PA 160. The road from Mance will bring you tp PA 160. Make a right, then a left to go to Meyersdale. Look for sign for Sand Patch and turn left.

Keystone Viaduct - between Sand Patch and Meyersdale. After crossing tracks at grade, look for road that goes off to right up to the tracks. You can stay on the east side of the viaduct, or go under it for a nice shot of westbounds coming under it, or eastbounds working up through a "S".

Meyersdale - Can't remember the street, but good place in town to stand on the bridge and get westbounds coming through town.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 09/18/12 15:18
Author: SVTS

And sorry I did not help much with road names. Been awhile since I have been there, but I also know the area well enough that I don't even pay attension to the road names. Just have some maps handy to get you from Fairhope to the top, several ways to do so.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 09/18/12 15:42
Author: sandpatch25

Most of the west slope of is visible from the Great Allegheny Passage, as you stated. However, the east slope is not. The east slope offers the horseshoe curve at Mance (endless photogenic oppertunities), Glencoe, Fairhope, Hyndman, etc.

If you know how to get to Sand Patch, you can reach all of these places fairly easily - weather permitting. If you're not familiar with the area, go south on Glade City Rd., out of Meyersdale. Several miles into it, you will go under the WM's former Keystone Viaduct, cross the CSX tracks at a grade crossing, and soon reach Deal Rd. Turn right and you will immediately be at Sand Patch. If you don't turn on to Deal Rd., you will sood be at an "T" intersection. Turn right on Route 160.

Shortly afterwords, you will see a left turn on to Brush Creek Rd. You will reach Mance fairly easy, within two miles of it, with a well-used GRAVEL ROAD (if I remember correctly). From there, it is your judgement call on whether or not you want to go on, due to weather conditions. The dirt road is about one lane wide, following the tracks, with small hills in it. You will turn left on it to cross the tracks eventually and then turn right immediately. My father and I managed to drive all the way to Glencoe, right after a big snow storm, in his front-wheel drive car; it took a lot of experience!

After reaching Glencoe, you will turn on to Glencoe Rd. to reach Carter Hill Rd. Shortly afterwords, the road will turn north to go up the mountain to reach Poorbaugh Rd. to turn right on. Eventually, you will reach Fairhope Rd./Glen Savage Rd. (two lane state road) and turn right. You will get to a sharp curve, which may have a gravel area to park on. There you can see (at least in the winter months) the east portel of Falls Cut Tunnel. Soon afterwords, you will be at the right-of-way's elevation in Fairhope and you will cross the tracks again. In Fairhope, there are two small rock formations that someone built benches on, specifically for railfans to watch trains from.

You then will be following Wills Creek to Hyndman, PA. (where the TO's camera is located). By then, you will have well-marked roads all the way to Cumberland, MD, with an ample amount of photo oppertunities along the way.

I hope this helps.

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/12 18:51 by sandpatch25.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0705 seconds