Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Acela Derailment at Barre ?

Date: 04/18/01 06:41
Acela Derailment at Barre ?
Author: cw60ac

A friend in New England told me that another Amtrak Acela trainset was damaged this week in a derailment on the track out of the BBD plant in Barre VT. Did anyone hear any more details ?

Date: 04/18/01 07:32
RE: Acela Derailment at Barre ?
Author: st62

Wouldn't surprise me. The Washington County RR which services this facility (VRS now) has to negotiate up to 9% grades using switchbacks. I have seen the operation, its hairy!

Date: 04/18/01 08:24
Author: gnr1938

CW,

I have a call in to an acquaintance I know that works at the Barre facility. He is going to return my call sometime within the next few hours to let me know what he finds out and then I'll be glad to let you know.

I have been to this facility myself and it is incredible. It sits on a hill that overlooks the city and the valley. How they ever chose this location for the plant is beyond me, but as the other poster indicated, it is a very steep grade and many switchbacks.

Date: 04/18/01 11:10
Author: Topfuel

The rumor was two power cars split a switch in the yard at Whitehall. Minimal damage, but if true the power cars will probably go back to Plattsburgh for any repairs.

Date: 04/19/01 14:03
Author: gnr1938

Well, got my reply from Mr. Page' today at Bombardier. Said the incident was a minor one at the switch. Nothing actually derailed and there was no damage.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds