Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Connersville & New Castle Indiana

Date: 10/31/12 19:38
Connersville & New Castle Indiana
Author: arcticrail

Saturday 10/27/12 Stumbled on a rare move from Connersville to New Castle. Today they were transferring a derrick to a scrapper in New Castle. Lots of weeding going on here. Both photos are just south east of New Castle. The prize was this former P&L derrick. Can't say about it's final dispostion plans. More of the photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arcticrail/sets/72157631872274083/

Date: 10/31/12 19:54
Re: Connersville & New Castle Indiana
Author: DoctorThunder

Well, Spencer Wendelin has to keep up appearances, wouldn't want any single property to look worse that another. This may look worse than the MAW.

Date: 10/31/12 21:04
Author: scapegoat

What scrap yard did this go to in New Castle?

Date: 10/31/12 22:20
Author: cashfare

Amazing photos, and track that would make the MAW look decent!

Date: 11/01/12 04:30
Author: junctiontower

There might be more weeds than the MAW, but I think the The track is actually much better.

Date: 11/01/12 05:17
Author: jmbreitigan

Wonder if any critters were spooked from those weds as the train came through?
John

Date: 11/01/12 05:20

Neal Scrap Metals on I Avenue was the final destination. The crane was pushed all the way to the end of the recently extended trackage inside the yard fence. The tender was pulled back within the fence perimeter before the crew left.
Weed covered? Definitely. But...based on photos I've seen of the MAW, these don't have anywhere near the rock and roll as the MAW does. I've seen some comments elsewhere that these tracks saw some work in the mid 80s by the NS which would explain the difference.

Date: 11/01/12 07:19
Author: farmer

Also appears to be much heavier rail than the MAW.

Date: 11/01/12 07:48
Author: CIND2254

Yes, NS installed welded rail in 1984.

Christian

Posted from Android

Date: 11/01/12 07:55
Author: farmer

Been to Connersville several times but figured they never ran north of town. Does CSX connect at Connersville with this line?

Date: 11/01/12 10:35
Author: P

farmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Been to Connersville several times but figured
> they never ran north of town. Does CSX connect at
> Connersville with this line?

Yes, it does.

Interesting note on the crane, but no real info given. Is this going to be scrapped? I know nothing about the crane, but wonder if it is something worth preserving?

The Whitewater Valley Railroad museum connects to this line at the south end and you would think it would make an interesting display piece at the museum. Knowing what I do about the ownership of the shortline (C&NC) though makes me believe that it was never brought up for discussion.

So does anyone know more about the crane and if it is indeed going to be cut up?

Date: 11/01/12 16:31

I don't know about its heritage but it does indeed run. They fired it up briefly to raise the boom and clear the tender prior to separating the two. I believe they may be cutting up the tender but as for the crane...well, the rumor is that it may be retained for use in the scrap yard. I can't verify that.

Date: 11/01/12 17:15

I see ballast and ties, it's better than the MAW. The MAW is held together by mud and pure force of habit.

Date: 11/02/12 18:30
Author: alco539

JUNGLE PATROL.!!

Date: 11/02/12 20:15
Author: DWBrown

Connection at Connersville with WWV is not active, due to disagreement with C&NC over switching rights with scrap yard in WWV. WWV wants to switch it and get revenue, C&NC says it is not a common carrier? Believe a rail length is removed near CSX overpass.

Dale Brown

Date: 11/02/12 23:12
Author: jerryheng

I crossed MAW on US24 just east of Napoleon OH in late September, and the track from there toward Liberty Center sure looked to have more and thicker weeds, IIRC. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing tracks. - Jerry

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There might be more weeds than the MAW, but I
> think the The track is actually much better.

Date: 11/03/12 00:06

That section has been OOS to anything but car storage for at least 5 years. The Napoleon to Defiance section which sees daily service is actually pretty devoid of weeds.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds