Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Veteran's Locomotive

Date: 11/06/12 16:51
NS Veteran's Locomotive
Author: willobi

Date: 11/06/12 17:09
Re: NS Veteran's Locomotive
Author: toledopatch

The link is to a news release NS posted today about the 6920.

Here's a link to previous discussion about this:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2903478,2903478#msg-2903478

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/12 17:11 by toledopatch.

Date: 11/07/12 10:07
Author: tiderail

I attended the Spencer event July 3rd and was overwhelmed by NS. One of the highlights of my railfan history. This morning however, I called NS headquarters in Norfolk and asked if the Monday event would be open to the public. I spoke to the secretary of someone there and was promptly told no. I asked if veterans would be allowed, I was put on hold and then got another firm no, when she returned. Who will be at Lamberts'Point to welcome this newest of NS public relations ventures? I am a VietNam veteran, a lifetime railfan and avid supporter of NS. A locomotive to commemorate veterans ,yet veterans can not attend. Makes sense to me.

Date: 11/07/12 20:22
Author: kpcmcpkva

If (big IF) the Amtrak siding at Harbor Park in Norfolk<va could be used, they would be able to display it close to NS Headquarters and at a place where the public could see it easily from Norfolk city property and not have to worry about Access to Lambert's Point.

Date: 11/08/12 03:21
Author: hoydie17

tiderail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I attended the Spencer event July 3rd and was
> overwhelmed by NS. One of the highlights of my
> railfan history. This morning however, I called NS
> headquarters in Norfolk and asked if the Monday
> event would be open to the public. I spoke to the
> secretary of someone there and was promptly told
> no. I asked if veterans would be allowed, I was
> put on hold and then got another firm no, when she
> returned. Who will be at Lamberts'Point to welcome
> this newest of NS public relations ventures? I am
> a VietNam veteran, a lifetime railfan and avid
> supporter of NS. A locomotive to commemorate
> veterans ,yet veterans can not attend. Makes sense
> to me.

While I can understand your frustration, you are far from the only veteran who happens to be a railfan. If they make an exception for one guy who decides to chance a call, in the future they'd have to give fair consideration to everyone else, which could become quite the inconvenience, to say nothing of the liability. I'd wager that you weren't the only person who has called or reached out to NS for an invite.

There are going to be several NS employees that have been invited to attend who are former military as well, so veterans will be well represented.

I'd say you still have a pretty strong chance of seeing the locomotive out in the wild anyways.

Date: 11/08/12 04:43
Author: tiderail

Good point

Date: 11/08/12 06:14
Author: defect_detector

Date: 11/08/12 10:09
Author: toledopatch

Sean makes a very valid point. There are plenty of railroad-industry employees who are former military. They can "carry the flag," so to speak, at the railroad's events without running the liability risk of inviting the public in.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds