Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What is this?

Date: 11/09/12 16:19
What is this?
Author: gborgwald

I presume it's an interurban or other electric railway trailer of some sort. I took the picture in/near Lockbourne, OH in 1987. It's number is R649.

Does anyone know what exactly it is and its heritage?

Thank you.

Greg

Date: 11/09/12 17:59
Re: What is this?
Author: MSchwiebert

I believe that it was originally a Cincinnati & Lake Erie Freight motor. Not sure if it went directly to the quarry after the C&LE folded, or if had other owner(s) between. As can be seen by the grille work, the motor had an internal combustion engine added at some point in time.

Date: 11/09/12 19:47
Author: locotrol

Here's more on this particular car used by American Aggregates. -- Keith Thompson

http://photos.cityrails.net/s/?p=143563

Date: 11/10/12 04:29
Author: intermodalres

As stated it is an old Cincinnati and Lake Erie freight motor. I also found it there around that time (late 80s). When I first saw it, to me it looked like some kind of ghost. It is owned by Ron Jedlicka and it is now (was as of 2002 when I saw it anyway) at a property by Buckeye Lake where he has several old interurban and trolley cars. The track it is on is a remnant of the Scioto Valley Traction that ran from Columbus to Circieville. After passenger service ended, the electric company used the line to move coal from the RR interchange to their power plant using steepecabs. That operation ended in the 1960s I believe. This motor was not part of that operation. Not sure how it ended up in this spot. From what I have read several of the C&LE motors were used in those quarries. Lockbourne is a really neat little town. Two railroad mainlines, the old Air Force base and several remnants of the old Ohio and Erie Canal.

Date: 11/10/12 17:20
Author: gborgwald

Thanks everyone for the info!

Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2212 seconds