Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Bogus Missed Call?

Date: 05/20/01 18:18
Bogus Missed Call?
Author: CSX_CO

I know this isn't the correct place for this post, and I've already emailed my Local Chairman, but I'm so burnt up over this, I gotta find out. BTW, this will pertain to CSX rules...

Had a Personal Leave day scheduled for today. At 1915 RR time I checked to ensure that it was still in effect, that they hadn't cancelled it, which it was.

At 22:00 I was at DRLOCO's house and double checked my standing...I was 4 times out (only rested on the extraboard) and within the 2 hrs from the start of my P/L day. There were 2 behind me rested.

Soon after Departing LOCO's place (he being the model employee and had to work this weekend) I turned my phone off, since I was less then 2 hrs from the start of my P/L day. At 22:22 it shows them calling me to dead-head for 0001. Now...this is INSIDE my 2 hr window...and also a 1:40 (less then that) call.

So...they show me missing a call for 0001 and at 0008 marking me off for P/L. Of course...this was a Dead-head and it sat away from home for almost 15 hrs before getting a train home.

So...do I have a right to be pissed? Or did I really miss a call?

BTW, this is the 2nd one I've missed...first was a similar situation...just before P/L was to start, they call and tell me I'm called. I was 2nd out on a pool, and when I dug into it...I shouldn't have missed the call...but by then...too late to fight it.

I suppose I wouldn't be so P.O'd if it weren't for the fact that I know of a Union Brother in my terminal who has been 'Notified' for a week, and not forced assigned someplace. I try and work everyday for them, and I get the 'shaft'.

At any rate...thanks in advance.

Practice Safe CSX
Mark off sick when in doubt!!!!!

Date: 05/20/01 18:38
RE: Bogus Missed Call?
Author: S291

sounds like they should've automatically marked you off personal leave day, they all have weird ways of doing that junk, too bad all the bosses and call office folk dont pay attention to the union agreements.....
and yeh, marking off sick works just bout all tha time! hehehe....
Casey

Date: 05/20/01 19:17
Author: elchapman

I feel your pain. I have an investigation to go to for missing a call on 5/13. My kids turned off the ringer and I wasn't supposed to be called anyway. Word from my local chairmen is 10 days. CSX is starting to turn into NS but when I worked at NS at least I got paid correctly. What will the consequences be for you CSX_CO? Let me know.

Lee

Date: 05/20/01 19:43
Author: shifter

I would say your mistake was turning off your phone.
Why turn it off? Your sure they arent going to call..
well then why not leave it on then? If I were you I
would have left it on and when they called I would have
informed them of what you said in post and ask them to
mark you off, if they declined you could have asked to
be put on the line with a supervisor. All may still not
be lost though, you can have your LC go to the TM and ask
him to look at the circumstances and not pursue formal
handling. I decided to go back and see if anything in past
posts could give an indication of what kind of relationship
you might have with your supervision. I noticed one post that
may give us a clue:
What I would do is call a Yardmaster and have him send out either a trainmaster or a call a track inspector (hopefully in the middle of the night!) ---- csxco

Well only you know if you meant that, but he probably didnt see
the post or if he did he didnt know who posted it, so you could
still have a chance, bottom line - work with supervision not against.
Good luck to you.

Date: 05/20/01 20:00
Author: CSX_CO

If you answer the phone...then you HAVE to go...and they can give you the missed call for refusing it.

Same thing with when they run rosters...if they get you on the phone...you HAVE to go.

That's why you turn the phone off. So as to not take the chance of answering and being FORCED to go.

Date: 05/20/01 21:07
Author: aaca-yd

They can't get you for missing a call if the call is after your PL day starts. Your local chairman should be able to take care of it, that is if you have one that's any good !
BTW, talked to a friend in Ohio about the engineer on the runaway, the moron admitted that what he did was a daily practice. And now he is only looking at 30 days because he has been a "good" boy. Now you can't tell me that the official up there didn't know he was doing that on a regular basis. You miss a call and they call you up on the carpet or give you time on the streets but it's OK to let a train run away due pure stupidity.

Date: 05/20/01 21:51
Us v. Them
Author: Deshlerrailfan

I learned that at about the same age as you are now; You know I'm about 2x your age. CYA at ALL times!!! Big Bro IS out there and loves to put it to you! RR or not.

DRF

Date: 05/21/01 00:30
Author: mp57

>> word from my local chairman is 10 days ....

CSX_CO ........ ask for your 10 days over Memorial Day and head it over to Deshler. :)

Date: 05/21/01 01:27
Author: TriangleRoute

Did you mark off personal leave? If not, then you missed a call. Just because you have a personal leave day scheduled doesnt mean you will be marked off. That is still your responsibility, and you can mark off personal leave 2 hours prior to the starting time. This can work in your bennefit at times, ie, you schedule a personal leave day to go to a ball game on saturday, and it just so happens that you're going to be off anyway....so, you dont mark off personal leave, and keep the day for later use.
TR
Savannah Ga

Date: 05/21/01 10:16
Author: BE23

Don't know if you are covered under former CR Agreement, but on Pg 18 of the 12/9/96 agreement, Article IX Personal Leave, section 3(a) states:
.....engineers granted a personal leave day will not be required to accept an assignment after 800pm on the day preceeding the personal leave day........

I'm not sure how the former CSX(B&O) or CSX(L&N/SCL) agreements read but will research it.

Date: 05/21/01 11:54
Author: CSX_Hoghead

I would be pissed and make sure your local chairman gets that taken off your record along with the other bogus missed call. I can say one thing for sure, this is the 2nd RR I have worked for and the callers all seem to be the same. (get my meaning?) Except for a few on the BNSF that would really look out for you, if they couldn't get a hold of you they would mark you off sick.

Date: 05/21/01 11:55
Author: rickrailrd

THe CSX crew callers and computers have a bad habit of not marking you off and back up at the correct times. They will many times mark you off after your rest day P/L day starts, then mark you back up at say at 21:30 instead of 22:00, or some other time more than two hours before the official end of the rest day.

The B&O agreement states that you do not have to accept a call that would begin after 0000 on your rest day or P/L day. So 0001 is after that. The problem is that the computer waited for 8 minutes to automatically mark you off.

Your LC and the trainmaster should be able to get that straightened out.

Date: 05/21/01 21:17
RE: Us v. Them
Author: trainhand

you can do it the easy way mark off sick and get the leave day after the fact when you mark back up. usually the mismanagement center will do this. Now mr. chapman had the phone turned off so he might could get a nights sleep without the rr calling him every 45 minutes wanting him to go to some god forsaken hotel. I know I'm guilty of it myself.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0625 seconds