Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > WNYP Alcos on the former Erie

Date: 11/16/12 06:35
WNYP Alcos on the former Erie
Author: DundasMP23

Yesterday, Thurs. Nov. 15, a friend and I headed down to the WNYP to follow the "Slingshot”, WNYP OL-3, from Olean, NY to Falconer, NY, where it swaps trains with ME-1 from Meadville, PA.
First stop before getting to the WNYP is always the BPRR at East Salamanca, NY where the southbound train historically was on duty at 09:00. We arrived at 08:30 to find no train. After pondering whether the train was late, or already by us, some distant chatter on the radio led us to believe the train was already in Bradford, PA switching, so we headed south. By the time we got there they were departing, so we headed south to Minard Run Road to get our shot. (Photo 1). The on duty time at East Salamanca must be earlier now, perhaps 08:00?

We then headed north/west back to the WNYP, and upon arrival in Allegany, NY we found OL-3 already pulled down and getting ready to depart. They were having issues with the WNYP 4228, which afforded us time to take a swing by the shop in Olean. Nothing in service was sitting in front of the shop, but out back was RRPX 2338 (Photo 2), WNYP 636, WNYP 631, WNYP 417 (Photo 3), and RRPX 43.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 18:06 by DundasMP23.

Date: 11/16/12 06:36
Re: WNYP Alcos on the former Erie

Back on the road, OL-3 had already departed west, so we headed to Sawmill Run Road west of Salamanca, NY to get our first shot (Photo 4)

Photo 5 – OL-3 rolling through Steamburg, NY

Photo 6 – OL-3 approaching Quaint Road, just outside of Falconer, NY.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Date: 11/16/12 06:38

Conversation on the radio between an Allegheny Railroad foreman and the WNYP dispatcher revealed that the ME-1 was still in Corry, PA, so we headed to Jamestown, NY to photograph the train coming in. We found a classic Erie Railroad bridge in downtown Jamestown to photograph the train on. (Photo 7)

Back in Falconer, we found OL-3 switching equipment around the shop, and they had pulled out partially repainted RS18 416, which if I recall correctly will become BH 416. (Photo 8). OL-3 took the 416, referred to as “Rocky” on the radio, back to Olean to the shop there.

Down at “Work”, WNYP 426/430, the power off ME-1, has coupled on to OL-3’s train and coughs up a lung as they pull down to the shop so the crew can take a late lunch break (Photo 9).

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/12 06:53 by DundasMP23.

Date: 11/16/12 06:40

Trouble with the 416’s brakes led us to believe that OL-3 wouldn’t be heading back east any time soon, so after ME-1’s lunch break we followed them west.

Photo 10 – ME-1 departing Falconer.

Photo 11 – ME-1 approaching Hwy. 957 between Sugar Grove, PA and Columbus, PA. It’s only 4:00 pm but the long shadows made us realize it was going to be a short chase.

Photo 12 – ME-1 in Corry, PA crossing the diamond with three names… Conrail “CP MS”, WNYP “Corry Diamond”, and Allegheny Railroad “Corry”. This would be the last glimmer of sunlight for the day, and our last photo.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Date: 11/16/12 07:51
Author: beertrain

Great shots. I really like the one with the bridge.

Date: 11/16/12 07:55
Author: robj

Nice series,and good update.

Thanks,

bob Jordan

Date: 11/16/12 08:27
Author: speederman01

That 416 is one UGLY machine! LOL

Date: 11/16/12 08:39
Author: ALcocentury

Thanks for posting your trip shots,and update,really enjoyed 'em

Date: 11/16/12 09:52
Author: joemvcnj

Are there any traces in Falconer of the old NYC ex-DAV&P line that once run betwen Dunkirk and Titusville ?

Date: 11/16/12 16:17
Author: jmbreitigan

Love the smoke on 426. Is it normal for a plow to be as low as the one on #416 ? Real nice series.
John

Date: 11/17/12 17:40
Author: ns1000

GREAT set of pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/17/12 17:42
Author: alco636

Great photos, thanks for sharing! I bet Bowser will sell many HO Scale WNYP C-430s.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0669 seconds