Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Bring on the orange (G&W/Rail America)

Date: 11/18/12 05:29
Bring on the orange (G&W/Rail America)
Author: PowellWye

One thing I am very much looking forward to in the rapidly approaching new year is the appearance of G&W's orange paint scheme on some of the Rail America roads. Most of the Rail America lines, including the Indiana & Ohio that I am most familiar with, use a grab bag of engines that are less then photogenic. The G&W orange doesn't appeal to all but I for one find it to be an attractive scheme.

Pictured is one of G&W's Ohio Central Super4 7's on the East Columbus Local (ECL) returning down a remnant of the Cleveland, Akron & Cincinnati after working an industry north across the NS at CW Tower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/12 07:28 by PowellWye.

Date: 11/18/12 06:06
Re: Bring on the orange (G&W/Rail America)
Author: was4097

Here's a video of this engine in a "previous life" still dressed in her Conrail colors.
It is seen here operating The Elderberry Line scenic train which ran between Carrollton to Minerva, Ohio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhbFUNll85g

Date: 11/18/12 08:54
Author: jmbreitigan

Personally I like the new paint. Nice catch.
John

Date: 11/18/12 10:24
Author: wjpyper

I agree. Many of the Portland & Western locomotives here in Oregon are painted in that scheme. I like it.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Date: 11/18/12 10:28
Author: zephyrus

That engine started life as Western Pacific 2265, the last GE built for the WP and the last of 15 U23Bs delivered in May-June 1972. She was b/n 38411.

The 2265 and her sisters served until the UP merger and ever eventually returned to their lessor and sold to GE. GE, of course, used the WP U23Bs for their Super 7 program. The engine became Monongahela 2310 in March 1990 and then Conrail 2040 in May 1993. At some point Conrail upgraded them to 3000 horsepower. NS got the engine in the 1999 Conrail split but it went to Indiana Box in 2003 and finally to Ohio Central in December 2004.

Side note on the WP U23Bs: The Feather River Rail Society tried to preserve 2260, which had been built using WP FP7 805-A as trade-in credit. Since the museum owned the preserved and soon to be restored 805-A (which pulled the California Zephyr), it was thought that having the 2260 would be an interesting story. GE had not decided on going ahead with the Super 7s yet and tentatively said it would donate if they did not do the rebuild program. Obviously they did.

Nice shot! I for one like the G&W paint and think it is cool to see a former WP engine wearing orange again.

Z

Date: 11/18/12 16:49
Author: DundasMP23

I agree. I hope the first order of business is to return the CEFX GP20Ds that are on many RailAmerica shortlines, the Southern Ontario Railway being one. I'll take anything orange/black over a CEFX GP20D!

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Date: 11/18/12 17:08
Author: dbrcnw

PowellWye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Pictured is one of G&W's Ohio Central Super4 7's
> on the East Columbus Local (ECL) returning down a
> remnant of the Cleveland, Akron & Cincinnati after
> working an industry north across the NS at CW
> Tower.

Thanks for the update. I thought the 7's had left the G&W (OC).

Dale

Date: 11/18/12 17:44
Author: PowellWye

All the other GE's are gone but the Super 7's are going strong. I think at least two are in orange now.

Date: 11/19/12 18:13
Author: toledopatch

PowellWye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All the other GE's are gone but the Super 7's are
> going strong. I think at least two are in orange
> now.

They get a couple more done and I'll have to make that operation a priority. Would be nice if they get the other second-hand stuff (ex-CP, ex-UP, etc.) done, too, while leaving the OC survivors alone.

Date: 11/19/12 18:21
Author: algoma11

I will be glad to see the G & W scheme on the R/A properties in Canada.

The Ottawa Valley , Goderich & Exeter and Southern Ontario Railway have had a dogs breakfast of loco schemes since they took over.

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds