Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CP Holiday Train + some Scranton tidbits

Date: 11/28/12 20:58
CP Holiday Train + some Scranton tidbits
Author: sscannella

Headed up to Scranton and areas north to catch CP's annual Holiday train's visit to Steamtown. Intercepted the southbound move about half-way between Binghamton, NY and Scranton at CPF 648 in Hop Bottom, PA. Then scurried down to Clarks Summit for another view before observing him starting to enter Steamtown from Lackawanna Ave in Scranton.

Date: 11/28/12 21:03
Re: CP Holiday Train + some Scranton tidbits

A close up of the power from the Lackawanna Ave Bridge, then a shot of them entering the yard at Bridge 60, then from the pedestrian bridge between the NPS site and the Steamtown Mall after the train had been staged for the evening's activities.

Date: 11/28/12 21:12

Taking a break between the Holiday train and dinner, I managed to catch DL's SC7 job switching in South Scranton with the MHWA 2042 which was sent from the DL's sister GVT road for some repairs at DL's South Scranton shop.

Then I headed over to Taylor Yard where CP's southbound 252 with a trio of NS power was waiting to head south to Enola via Sunbury, sitting alongside Taylor D11 local power. I then headed to Avoca where I managed this shot just a few short minutes before sunset.

Date: 11/28/12 21:24

After grabbing some dinner I headed back to Steamtown to try my hand with some night shots. Problem was there was a nice crowd gathered on the pedestrian bridge behind the mall, which unfortunately for me created a lot of bouncing of the bridge and tripod movement. This was about the best I was able to manage. I headed north to the famous concrete viaduct at Nicholson before heading back to Harrisburg, but didn't bother with photography, rather just absorbing the sights of the train and the nice sized crowd gathered all over the roads surrounding the massive structure.

Last pic is my new railfanning partner who my son allowed to accompany me today, Skip, a Terrier/Chihuahua mix we adopted from a rescue shelter a couple weeks ago!

Date: 11/28/12 23:25
Author: RAILFORCE

GREAT SHOTS !!!

Date: 11/29/12 05:50
Author: jmbreitigan

Very well done series of photos. I think that night shot of the Christmas train looks good. I see Skip has his doggie treats close by : )
John

Date: 11/29/12 20:10
Author: OCtrainguy

A good day of railfanning around Scranton, well done! I was wondering how big the crowd would be for the CP train this year. I have gone the past few years when the train visited on a Saturday and I could make a weekend out of it. Two years ago, the people from Steamtown said they had their largest crowd.

Date: 11/30/12 05:38
Author: agrafton

Very nice series, well done. I like the shot of the local at sunset with the old telephone poles, would look
good in black and white.
alan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds