Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lackawanna on the Monongahela

Date: 11/29/12 14:08
Lackawanna on the Monongahela
Author: NSHorseheadSD70

The DLW heritage unit made her first venture into the Mon Valley on Nov. 28th. Unfortunately it led south to the Loveridge Mine under the cover of darkness the night before. So the next morning I took a trip down and found it about ready to depart the mine.

1. The crew has just changed from the NS 1074 to the 1026 and is getting their track authority to depart the mine. They're running as NS N11

2. From Rivesville, WV to Fairview, WV where the mine is located, the railroad follows Paw Paw Creek and makes for some nice scenes. It's also 10 MPH from FED to Catawba Jct. so it makes chasing and getting ahead of the train very easy.

3. This angle makes it easy to see why it's 10 MPH. In addition to many small private crossings and sharp curves, in some places the railroad is so close you could lean out a car window and touch the train.

Chris Tokarcik
Morgantown, WV

Date: 11/29/12 14:27
Re: Lackawanna on the Monongahela
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/29/12 15:11
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice pictures. Thanks for posting pictures of a seldom seen area. I may have to come down and check that area out some day.
John
John

Date: 11/30/12 05:22
Author: agrafton

jmbreitigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice pictures. Thanks for posting pictures of a
> seldom seen area. I may have to come down and
> check that area out some day.
> John
> John

I agree some very nice photos from a seldom seen area,
well done.
alan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds