Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A gorgeous day along the old Virginian P-D district

Date: 12/02/12 19:38
A gorgeous day along the old Virginian P-D district
Author: Samuel

All these photos are taken on December 1st, 2012..

Photo 1 & 2: After exiting tunnel #18, NS 810 rolls across the impressively huge Ingleside trestle as it descends the 2% grade from Princeton to Kellysville on a gorgeous winter morning in Southern West Virginia.
Photo 3: NS 8062 provides the extra breaking needed for this loaded coal drag, 150 cars in length, in the descent downhill from Princeton to Kellsville; the move is depicted here crossing the massive Ingleside trestle situated just outside Princeton on a balmy morning along the former Virginian.

Samuel Phillips
Radford, VA
Photography by Samuel Phillips

Date: 12/02/12 19:41
Re: A gorgeous day along the old Virginian P-D district

Photo 4: NS 820 rolls downhill out of Bluefield as he splits the classic N&W CPL's here at Ingleside, WV with a older ex Conrail EMD in command.
Photo 5: The Monongahela heritage unit sits in Elmore yard along with other power and a few cabooses as they await their next assignments.
Photo 6: NS 755 sits outside the town of Mullens, WV in the small hamlet of Tralee as it awaits a new crew to take it to get loaded with coal at whatever mine is ready for the empty hoppers. Photo is taken from a public crossing.

Samuel Phillips
Radford, VA

Date: 12/02/12 19:44

Photo 7: On a balmy evening situated along the former Virginian Railway in the quaint hamlet of Covel, WV, finds train #U87 crawling uphill towards Clarks Gap permeating the quiet valley with the sound of GE's in notch 8 straining their guts out to keep the heavy drag moving.. The trestles along this line are amazing and this one is no exception.
Photo 8: A trio of newer AC motors shove hard on the rear of train U87 as they roll across the massive Covel trestle situated 10 miles east of Elmore.. The Reading and Erie heritage units are earning their keep along this intriguing railroad.
Photo 9: After topping the 2.5% grade here at Clarks Gap, NS U87 rolls through the middle of no where as he approaches the community of Weyanoke and a meet with 775.

Samuel Phillips
Radford, VA

Date: 12/02/12 19:46

Photo 10: NS 775 rolls into the historic town of Matoaka, WV as it passes the old Virginian depot situated trackside on a stunningly beautiful afternoon in the quaint community.
Photo 11: After meeting 775 a couple miles behind at Weyanoke, NS U87 rolls downhill into a S curve situated in historic Matoaka, WV as late afternoon sun basks the scene.
Photo 12: As seen charging out of the late afternoon sun, NS U87 roars east across the highest trestle along the former Virginian Railway situated here at Kegley, WV just west of Princeton. This train has traversed one of the most scenic and incredible pieces of railroad in the Pocahontas region; multiple huge trestles, excruciating grades, and just stunning scenery greeted the train in its trek from Elmore to Princeton...

Thanks for looking!

Samuel Phillips
Radford, VA

Date: 12/02/12 20:02
Author: zwsplac

Great shots Samuel! I hope to someday get some shots on this stretch, but traffic never seems to cooperate on my rare visits. A very undershot piece of railroad.

Date: 12/02/12 20:39
Author: mikecollins

All very nice, Samuel. Especially like #11, nice composition and lighting.

--Mike

Date: 12/02/12 20:44
Author: inCHI

Thanks for this, I think this is one of the most interesting and under-represented bits of railroad in the country. That last shot is fantastic... and my the erie unit is getting filthy! (Not hard to see why)

Date: 12/02/12 21:11
Author: Chase55671

Nice photos as always, Samuel! Enjoyed them all.

Chase Gunnoe
Nitro, West Virginia

Date: 12/02/12 21:34

Thank you all very much! The kind words mean so much. It was a blessed trip for sure .. The former Virginian is quickly becoming a favorite line of mine. I will have the video up soon.

Posted from Android

Samuel Phillips
Radford, VA

Date: 12/03/12 04:48
Author: jmbreitigan

Samuel. great pictures of an incredibly beautiful section of railroad.
John

Date: 12/03/12 06:58
Author: DJ-12

Great stuff Samuel. That U87 must have really been crawling for you to be able to get shots of the head end and helper those 2 separate spots!

Date: 12/03/12 07:47
Author: toledopatch

Where is the Kegley bridge in relation to the U.S. 19 underpass in town? I went exploring there when I was in the area in October but didn't see it, nor can I locate it on Google Earth (trestles usually stand out with their open decks and, depending on the time of day the aerial photo was shot, their shadows are sometimes evident, too).

Date: 12/03/12 16:44
Author: ns1000

OUTSTANDING set of pics!!!! Well done!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 12/04/12 14:28
Author: m1bprr

VA. WVA. You the man Sam!!!!!
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0732 seconds