Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wabash Units on the Point

Date: 12/08/12 08:06
Wabash Units on the Point
Author: sugarcreek56

For several years I've been unable to get the Monticello Railway Museum's passenger train moving from Monticello, IL to Decatur, IL for the NS employees Santa Train. The highlight is the arched bridge over Lake Decatur. I finally got the opportunity this past Friday, despite far less than ideal weather. The consolation prize was NS 1070 and MRyM Wabash 1189 together for the first multi unit Wabash lash-up in 40 or so years. NS 1070 had been dropped at Monticello with a cut of cars for storage on the MRyM.

#1: MRyM 1189 leads the consist past the Monticello grain elevator using the connecting track up to the NS.

#2: After letting Train 319 pass, NS 1070 seesawed the cut of cars and ran around to connect to 1189. The train now departs Monticello.

#3: NS 1070 had to let two trains clear the junction at Bement, IL. After the other trains clear, NS 1070 "gets the switch" and proceeds across Roosevelt Street to the Decatur-Ft. Wayne mainline.

Date: 12/08/12 08:07
Re: Wabash Units on the Point

#4: The train crossing the bridge at Lake Decatur.

Date: 12/08/12 08:20
Author: ironmtn

A wonderful series of photos! Thanks for your efforts to get terrific images of a Wabash lashup the likes of which we who Follow The Flag have not seen in a great many years. Wow! And on the Lake Decatur bridge, no less!

A couple of questions, if I may. In the first image, it looks like the canvas(?) outlets on the grain elevator outlets are dragging on the roofs of the train's cars. Did that occur, or is it just an illusion due to the perspective of the image. Also, what is the second/third unit in the lashup? Looks like an Alco FA, in the old CN green scheme?

Thanks again for the effort to get and share these great images!

Follow The Flag!

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/12 08:21 by ironmtn.

Date: 12/08/12 08:56

No, that is not an illusion. The canvas outlets are dragging on the roofs of the cars. They are used to keep the grain dust down as the grain elevator is on the west side of downtown Monticello. The 3rd unit is a former CN FPA-4 #6789, also used by VIA before coming to the MRyM.

Date: 12/08/12 15:49
Author: ns1000

I REALLY LIKE Pic 4!!!!!

Date: 12/08/12 17:53
Author: TheRightWay

Neat consist, but there was a multi-Wabash consist in Missouri back in September:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=409500&nseq=0

I know, that F isn't a "real" Wabash unit, but neither is 1070!

Date: 12/10/12 19:56
Author: atsf101

Outstanding! Love #4 the most. Classic Wabash image!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds