Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX/NS Coal handoff in Muncie, IN

Date: 12/09/12 21:16
CSX/NS Coal handoff in Muncie, IN
Author: arcticrail

Earlier today CSX handed off the W945 coal train to NS in Muncie, IN using the "New 3" track. NS hauled it north (railroad west) on the New Castle Sub as train 61Z. Train is planned to be delivered to the Elkhart & Western at Argos, IN. Destination not yet known. Was an interesting move as the New 3 track is not often used. CSX power remained on the train for the move over NS rails shopwn here just south of Bluffton, IN.

Thanks to CIOR on Indiana RR Bull Session board for the details on the move.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/12 21:32 by arcticrail.

Date: 12/10/12 00:04
Re: CSX/NS Coal handoff in Muncie, IN
Author: CJ

Very interesting, is this the first time for this move? I've never heard of this before, but it's something to look forward to seeing in the future!

chris

Date: 12/10/12 08:37
Author: arcticrail

It's the first time several locals have seen it...not sure if it'll be a regular move or not. If I hear something, I'll post it up!

Date: 12/10/12 09:38
Author: KimHeusel

A poster on the Indiana Railroads Bull Session list says it's a move to take empty cars for storage on the Elkhart and Western.

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=11530.0

Kim Heusel

Date: 12/10/12 14:47
Author: P

How can we tell it is on track 3?

Date: 12/10/12 15:20
Author: Rob46580

Ok, After mentally reviewing the line from Argos , I can not come up with a stretch of track long enough for car storage unless it is north of Walkerton,In up to where the Elkhart and Western part ends. Unless the Fulton County Railroad is involved, have not heard where it has officially quit, but hard to keep track.

Date: 12/10/12 19:53
Author: DrLoco

Second movement in 5 years on that track. Right before November, the FRA test car was the first thing to go over the New 3 connection since the GM Muncie local was abolished by CSX. Luckily this happened. This should help put a stop to the local roadmaster's plans to pull out that track. He has that short sighted "tear it out before somebody needs it and i have to pay to maintain it" mentality.
Back when Indianapolis' Citizens gas and coke still produced coke, the occasional coal train from the NS would be handed off to CSX at this connection. I was called as Pilot for this job a few times. I believe it was an 80N or 80Z symbol back then. I think it usually ran up from Cincinnati to Indy via the CSX B&O routing, but back during the conrail meltdown days, anything could (and more often than not did) happen. Other than that, we used to have an ANderson-New Castle turn local use that track, and NS trackage rights to get to New Castle (abolished by CSX in 2000) and an Indy-Muncie turn local that handled Hot GM truck & Bus boxcars loaded on 2nd shift to be interchanged to NS at Muncie and delivered to the Ft. Wayne truck assembly plant in time for use by 1st trick. Pretty hot train, really...I used to run that local and they would hold the mail trains for us on the "little local!" (we were never over 15 cars).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/12 19:57 by DrLoco.

Date: 12/11/12 11:29
Author: farmer

DrLoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Second movement in 5 years on that track. Right
> before November, the FRA test car was the first
> thing to go over the New 3 connection since the GM
> Muncie local was abolished by CSX. Luckily this
> happened. This should help put a stop to the local
> roadmaster's plans to pull out that track. He has
> that short sighted "tear it out before somebody
> needs it and i have to pay to maintain it"
> mentality.
> Back when Indianapolis' Citizens gas and coke
> still produced coke, the occasional coal train
> from the NS would be handed off to CSX at this
> connection. I was called as Pilot for this job a
> few times. I believe it was an 80N or 80Z symbol
> back then. I think it usually ran up from
> Cincinnati to Indy via the CSX B&O routing, but
> back during the conrail meltdown days, anything
> could (and more often than not did) happen. Other
> than that, we used to have an ANderson-New Castle
> turn local use that track, and NS trackage rights
> to get to New Castle (abolished by CSX in 2000)
> and an Indy-Muncie turn local that handled Hot GM
> truck & Bus boxcars loaded on 2nd shift to be
> interchanged to NS at Muncie and delivered to the
> Ft. Wayne truck assembly plant in time for use by
> 1st trick. Pretty hot train, really...I used to
> run that local and they would hold the mail trains
> for us on the "little local!" (we were never over
> 15 cars).

I would be willing to bet it is the division engineer that wants the track removed. I know of one time he wanted the northeast transfer removed at Fostoria.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds