Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Re: Old copies of Trains

Date: 12/11/12 10:31
Re: Old copies of Trains
Author: CivilEngineer

Cleanin house along with the decorating process. Even though I am in denial, I have to admit that I seldom look through my copies of TRAINS that I have accumulated over the last 20 years.

Chances are most of you reading this either have got your copy of the computerized version of the back issues, or you're happy with your own copies. What I have seen of the on line auction world is that there are many sellers and few buyers.

any suggestions?
thanks
CivE

Date: 12/11/12 10:48
Author: aehouse

I'd hang onto them if you feel that you might ever wish to research or revisit a subject in them. I have every Trains Magazine issue (less a few from 1969) from Volume 1, issue 1, to the present.

I know they are available on DVD, but I do not trust that the DVD--or any consumer electronic medium--will last forever, or that the data on the DVDs will last permanently even if the format remains.

My magazines will last for my lifetime, at least, and probably much longer, as I have them stored in archival boxes.

If you really want to get rid of them, you might consider taking them to a train show, but--from what I've seen--old issues bring very little return from a monetary standpoint.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 12/11/12 10:48
Author: CJ

I went to an NMRA convention a few years back, took a huge box of magazines, stuck a sheet of paper on the front that said "free"...they were gone in a couple hours :)

Chris

Date: 12/11/12 11:58
Author: SandPatch1

Our NMRA div host a open house, and we collect all the mags, and hand them out to kids at the show. Hopefully they will take up model railroading or photography.. better then them taking up Graffitte

Date: 12/11/12 12:04
Author: AfroRon

Few years back, I bought a almost complete collection of Trains from 1940-1997 for $50 off a add from another member this website.

Date: 12/11/12 13:22
Author: K3HX

After securing parental permission, I give them to kids whilst out
railfanning or at model train shows. Do the same with outdated
RR calendars.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 12/11/12 13:26
Author: railcity

Take them to your Local Recycling Center.

Date: 12/11/12 15:28
Author: atsf616

Bound volumes do sell reasonably well on eBay, but individual issues are tougher to unload.

Date: 12/11/12 19:13
Author: cutboy2

Tower A Union Terminal Cincinnati. Open to public. We give all kids mags. Maybe someplace like that in your area of the USA!??

Date: 12/12/12 08:00
Author: mkostecky

Open them up soak them in water roll up in tight rolls tie with string let dry completely they make excellent fire place logs!

Date: 12/12/12 10:10
Author: Frank30

I've tried selling 50+ year collection of MR, RMC and Trains in binders at train shows, you can't
give them away! Solution: take the magazines out of the binders and sell the binders alone, they
are snapped up quickly, throw away the mags. 150 binders of magazines takes up too much space!!
You can get them on disc and gain a lot of shelf space.
Frank 30

Date: 12/13/12 15:59
Author: CivilEngineer

Thanks all for your input. I might just go the Goodwill route or the recycling route. Gotta take one more look through them, though.....

thanks
CivE

Date: 12/16/12 07:12
Author: Lackawanna484

Some hospitals or old age care centers might be interested in donations. You might even get a modest tax deduction for the contribution.

I'm in a similar situation, with perhaps 20 years of Trains mag, Railfan back to issue 1, Railpace back to issue 1, Flimsies, Pacific Rail News, etc. Haven't looked at them in years. If my wife ever finds some or all could be replaced with a DVD, the mags are out in the recycling immediately.

Date: 12/16/12 10:40
Author: DoctorThunder

I have 50 years worth in plastic totes in the basement. I still enjoy pulling out random ones and reading them and find them just as good as any book in learning stuff. That said I would love to get the dvds and throw the magazines in the dumpster.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0664 seconds