Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion >

Date: 12/14/12 04:11

Author: brfriedm

Hello,

Does anyone have one of these? I saw their ad in Trains Mag and the product looks like something I would like. Unfortunately, their website shows no pictures of the actual Atlas. The Atlas is a whopping $77.95 plus $16.95 for shipping. Holy Cow, $95. Also, does anyone know if others resell it for a discount?

Thanks Bruce

http://www.railmaps.com/servlet/the-40/north-america%2C-railroad%2C-atlas%2C/Detail

Date: 12/14/12 06:08

Author: LiveWire

I have one of the earlier editions. They are colorized and don't show abandoned lines. They are also organized by state with more detail for some cities.

Date: 12/14/12 06:12

Author: toledopatch

I have the first edition. It's pricey for what you get, but I do find it handy for understanding the railroad layout in unfamiliar areas, especially when the railroad identification in traditional atlases (e.g. DeLorme) is out-of-date and/or it's hard to distinguish active lines from abandoned ones.

Date: 12/14/12 06:31

Author: robj

I have one of the older ones that was on a closeout sale some where and find it good to get an overview of lines. The newer one is supposed to show
some roads, better graphics etc. I was ready to buy it and then the shipping showed up. I just don't like that way of doing business.
ie advertise a price and then toss extra shipping way past any reasonable actual shipping and handling costs. I still may get it but hate to do biz with companies that do that.

Bob Jordan

Date: 12/14/12 12:36

Author: SD70M

I've got most of the SPV railroad atlases, I just pack the relevant ones in my suitcase each time I come over the big pond.

Date: 12/15/12 07:30

Author: tq-07fan

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have one of the older ones that was on a
> closeout sale some where and find it good to get
> an overview of lines. The newer one is supposed
> to show
> some roads, better graphics etc. I was ready to
> buy it and then the shipping showed up. I just
> don't like that way of doing business.
> ie advertise a price and then toss extra shipping
> way past any reasonable actual shipping and
> handling costs. I still may get it but hate to do
> biz with companies that do that.
>
> Bob Jordan

I can agree with that. My TrackATLAS was shipped here from Great Britain for less that.

Jim

Date: 12/15/12 16:03

Author: birdman

You might go to www.bookfinder.com and do a search for a new or used previous edition at a substantial savings.

Date: 12/17/12 15:15

Author: poffcapt

I went on Abe's Books and Alibris. Both had one book listed from some seller in Seattle, who wanted $535 for it. I am assuming it was the First Edition, and they are selling it as a collectible.

So, does the 2nd edition not have "roads and highways" in it, but the 3rd edition does have them? Is this correct?

Thanks.

Barry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds