Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > You Thought You Knew To Railfan?

Date: 06/30/01 02:25
You Thought You Knew To Railfan?
Author: 3rdRail

Check out this guy. Train is at Attica Jct. OH about to cross the CSX diamond on it's way towards Marion. Right behind the signals is a farmers crossing which be drove across the tracks. I watched him set up but he took off just as the train was hitting the signals. I did watch him land though. I was told he owns the land on either side of the tracks.

Date: 06/30/01 05:36
RE: You luck out!
Author: EDurnwald

I saw the same thing on May 31, 2001
But no trains in sight.

Eddie D.

Date: 06/30/01 14:38
Author: cnconductor

Middle name " Darwin"???

Date: 06/30/01 15:06
Author: TriangleRoute

He must have a brother down in Florida. Saw a guy and a passenger doing the same type of flying around callahan Fl. He buzzed us several times, giving me time to get a camera out. Have a few good shots out the cab window. A local crop duster around Estill S.C. also gets a little frisky on some early mornings. No pics of him, however. (I imagine the FAA would want a copy, so I neglected to shoot him). Seems everyone likes trains, regardless of thier hobby preference!
TR
Savannah GA

Date: 06/30/01 17:09
RE: You Thought You Knew To Railfan?
Author: daveoc1551

On Sunday 6/03/01 we were on the Ohio Central excursion, Dennison to Newark. Somewhere west of Morgan Run ( i think ) we were buzzed twice by a small private plane about 50' off the ground. Too low for comfort, the FAA would not be happy with this .

Dave

Date: 06/30/01 17:44
RE: You Thought You Knew To Railfan?
Author: crazy_nip

as far as i know you dont need a pilots license to operate an ultralight (sp?) or similar "aircraft". This leads to some real idiots out there playing pilot...

Date: 06/30/01 19:22
I*n The Flyers Defence
Author: 3rdRail

He wasn't buzzing the train as far as I could tell. He just looks close. His runway is in the field to the right.From what I was told he flys regularly so I don't think he wanted to get to close to that train. He probaly had a great veiw though.

Date: 07/01/01 12:48
idiots out flying? Not many
Author: TriangleRoute

To my knowledge, you dont need a license to fly an ultralight, or powered aeorofoil (that parachute looking thing with the fan attached). However, not many idiots actually fly these things, at least not for long. While a formal license isnt required, all the ultralight pilots I have talked to are as competent in their aircraft as pilots of larger more complex machines. It boils down to darwinism (who I have great reservations about anyway, but, in this case it seems to fit) Before flying one of these things, pilots recognize the need to be trained, and qualified to fly them. If not, they wont last long. It isnt complicated at all, but, it does require some schooling to enjoy it safely. Find out where they fly these things in your area. Go and talk to some of them, and see just how profesional they are, and how serious they take the chalenge of flight. Many ultralight pilots I have met are more profesional, and competent than some licensed pilots I know! And, you just cant beat a day up in the air! As airplane rentals get more and more expensive, I am looking seriously into getting one of these machines for myself. It would pacify my need to fly for no reason other than enjoyment, and, leave more money in the coffers for longer trips in a rented aircraft. Be safe, in whatever hobby ignites your passion, and have fun.
TR
Savannah Ga

Date: 07/02/01 06:08
CDV
Author: Deshlerrailfan

Looks like a Chicken Delivery Vehicle for Stop and Flag Days. Better than driving out of town to get around a stopped train. NightRider (gtw5900), you need one of these. :-)

DRF

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds