Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > River Line (NJ/NY) question...

Date: 07/23/01 07:58
River Line (NJ/NY) question...
Author: zablocki22

Does anyone know what trains X550 and X555 were (type)? Heard them on the scanner on Friday (about 7 PM) and Sunday (about 3PM).

Also read in a previous thread on Baltimore reroutes and a mention was made of CSX double tracking CP-5 to CP-7. Is this the construction that looks like building foundations being put north of Mount Vernon street towards I-80 in Ridgefield Park?

V

Date: 07/23/01 08:14
RE: River Line (NJ/NY) question...
Author: CSXT-DandC-kid

The River Line double-tracking is between CP-3 and CP-7; I haven't visited the site yet, so I'm not entirely certain what you're describing, but you probably are seeing project-related work.

-Dave

Date: 07/23/01 09:17
Author: alanschenkel

X555 was a manifest, steel coils, lots of hoppers, boxcars (many empty).
I saw it at Kingston, NY 2pm 7/21/01 CSX 7725 (C40-8W)-CSX 7683 (C40-8W) NB with Lake Erie, Franklin, & Clarion hoppers (WE 3508). Jeff Mason wrote that he saw lead unit as 7785, so I'm not 100% sure

Date: 07/23/01 10:10
Author: beauprejesse

Jeff saw that train on Sat. post is on Riverline@yahoogroups.com

Date: 07/23/01 11:04
Author: lakecities

In reference to the double-tracking along the River Line, crews have clerared the brush between Bergen Turnpike crossing and Mout Vernon Street in Ridgefield Park. They are in the process of dumping stone for the roadbed.
As for the construction just north of Mount Vernon Street, those will be self-storage buildings.

Date: 07/23/01 11:32

If the foundations are self storage sights, will the track be moved over to fit a second track because if so there is hardly any room?

V

Date: 07/23/01 12:05

A glance through the plans for CP-3 to CP-5 shows no info that Track 1 (existing main) will be relocated; the CP-5 to CP-7 work is in a separate set that I don't have available.
-Dave
http://davehonan.50megs.com/

Date: 07/23/01 12:23

zablocki22 wrote:
>
> If the foundations are self storage sights, will the track be
> moved over to fit a second track because if so there is hardly
> any room?
>
>
> V

They will have to build the new track between the existing main and the NYS&W due to the fact that there are three buildings already standing that are close to the main. If you take a look behind those buildings, you will notice how close they are to the main. CSX had surveyors checking that location last year.

Date: 07/23/01 12:35

That's what I was figuring because there isn't any room. I guess they will be busy and hopefully there will be a few more trains running in a few years. Although, as others I know have said, they need to redouble more of the River Line trackage.

V

Date: 07/23/01 12:42

zablocki22 wrote:
> they need to redouble more of the River Line trackage.

Since there isn't any construction work ongoing, I can't go into specifics, but complete plans do exist for (re)double-tracking portions of the line. All that's needed is the $$$.

-Dave
http://davehonan.50megs.com/

Date: 07/23/01 13:51

Last year when CSX was installing the second siding between CP-7 and CP-10, I spoke with the track foreman who indicated that CSX had long-term plans to double-track much of the River Line.
Once CP-3 to CP-7 is completed, CSX plans on double-tracking south of CP-3 down the Northern(former Erie Northern Branch). Construction is already underway to eliminate grade crossings along this route with bridges.
As far as double-tracking the River Line north of CP-10, that will depend on whether New York State lowers the unreasonably high property taxes being levied against railroads. CSX is currently fighting with the state in the courts over this issue.

Date: 07/24/01 06:07
Author: Lackawanna484

John Snow was quoted in the Bergen Record last year that he and Walter Rich had had discussions to allow CSX use of NYSW trackage between Bogota and Little Ferry. The article said they agreed to look at a connection near I-80 between the River Line (Sub) and the NYSW Main, and a second connection at the south end of the NYSW Yard in Little Ferry. The purpose was to operate the section as two main tracks.

Well, the switch at the south end of the yard was built last year, and all it would take is a 300 foot or so connection at the north end (CSX to NYSW), plus extending the CP 7 switch point south another 1000 feet.

If they could find some way to relocate the NYSW engine facility away from the residential area in which it was built (residents were there for 100 years before the railroad), everybody would consider it a huge win.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds