Author: dstill

Does this railroad still run trains?

Date: 02/21/13 05:52
Re: St Mary's Railroad in GA
Author: Lackawanna484

dstill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does this railroad still run trains?

The tracks are in place, and the crossings etc are still in service as far east as the lead to the submarine base. The line east of the sub base looks pretty desolate. As of last year.

I've been told there are shippers at the west end, and the US Navy is subsidizing maintenance to assure future service. I don't know either to be a fact.

Date: 02/21/13 06:03
Author: Dewman45

They now run as needed

Date: 02/21/13 06:51
Author: swampfox

from the other day. one day last week was going down 40 in kingsland and they went by heading east with what appeared to be about 20-30 empty stack cars. any one with an idea on where they would be going, the base???

Date: 02/21/13 12:37
Author: tjm6515

The St Marys West RR (Waresboro, Ga) is in the car storage business. They had about a 5 mile string of articulated DTTX well cars in storage. May be some more going to be stored on the St. Marys?

Posted from Android

TJ Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL

Date: 02/21/13 12:51
Author: swampfox

tjm6515 Wrote:
> The St Marys West RR (Waresboro, Ga) is in the car
> storage business. They had about a 5 mile string
> of articulated DTTX well cars in storage. May be
> some more going to be stored on the St. Marys?
>
> Posted from Android

thank you

Date: 02/21/13 13:25
Author: ctillnc

During the peak of the recession, I believe cars were stored all the way west from Waresboro to the end of track in Pearson. Some of those cars have probably been removed since then. For those unfamiliar with the area, St. Marys Railway West is the former ACL branch from Albany to Waycross. This branch, never signaled, carried the City of Miami and Seminole. Much of it was abandoned in 1985. In 1971 the City of Miami timetable allowed 2 hrs 20 minutes Waycross-Albany (112 miles, 1 intermediate stop, 48 mph average).

Date: 02/21/13 13:42
Author: GeorgiaRailfan31602

Well there is the Saint Mary's West(SMW) and the Saint Mary's Railroad(SM. Many confuse the two but there is no relation I believe between them other than the name is similar.

ARW

Date: 02/22/13 20:25
Author: FBU32804

GeorgiaRailfan31602 Wrote:
> Well there is the Saint Mary's West(SMW) and the
> Saint Mary's Railroad(SM. Many confuse the two but
> there is no relation I believe between them other
> than the name is similar.

That is correct. The guy running the SMW used to run the SM, but that was a long time ago. The SM wants/wanted nothing to do with him or his new operation.

Date: 02/24/13 19:52
Author: dstill

I stopped by St Mary's this AM when heading back to NC from Jax. Went east to where track crossed Osborne St. Did not find a locomotive but did find a MooseHaven Central Caboose.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds