Home Open Account Help 167 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS (ex-Nickel Plate) Query

Date: 08/05/01 10:44
NS (ex-Nickel Plate) Query
Author: billio

A year or so ago, some Great American (I do not recall who, or I'd memorialize his name once again here) posted a wonderful pic of NS rebuilding/building anew (i.e.,--replacing) a viaduct over one of the many creeks its ex-Nickel Plate line crosses along the south shore of Lake Erie between Buffalo and Cleveland.

Which leads me to ask NS'ers, Nickel Platers or just plain anyone who knows: was that viaduct reconstruction begun to replace a structure that was worn out and "needs replaced," or is it part of a multi-year, UP-style program to rebuild, presumably to higher standards, a nunber of similar structures on this line?

Thanx in advance. --Billio

Date: 08/05/01 11:28
RE: NS (ex-Nickel Plate) Query
Author: TV-10

I don't think there ever was a program. I thought only the trestles in need got attention. If there ever was a program, no doubt it got squashed by the CR split profit fiasco and resulting money crisis.

Presumably to higher standards?? Dunno, but to me the steel that was going in looked alot thinner and more frail-looking than what was being taken out. One can only hope that perhaps its the stronger breed of steel going in, which would be better than the thicker predecessor. The new bridges sure didn't look as "strong" as the ones that carried steam engines.

If NS is just cheapening things and not building things to last, then, NS is __________ (you fill in the blank)

Date: 08/05/01 11:38
Author: BobE

I think NS has some notion of a UP-style major upgrading of the NKP. It's a major automotive artery (read: high margins) and it's choked. I don't know if they're as bold as UP in terms of whether they would double-track the whole thing west of Cleveland (there's not a lot of traffic on it to the east), but it would be worth considering.

BobE

Date: 08/05/01 13:14
Author: CSX_Hoghead

I grew up west of Cleveland and remember when the line used to be double track......back in the N&W days.

Date: 08/05/01 13:28
Author: halfmoonharold

Regarding business, the traffic is not really there to double-track any part of the NKP main, EXCEPT the part ripped-out between Old Fort and Ilers. That's between Bellevue and Fostoria. Buffalo-Ashtabula has a decent amount of traffic, but not to the extent that more track is needed. If CSX wins their suit against high taxes in Nuevo York, NS may develop a sudden interest in using the Southern Tier, which could kick a few more trains to the NKP. Although now that the geniuses put the new Cleveland intermodal terminal in Maple Hts. on the Pennsy, there is no access for Buffalo trains. The Chicago District has sidings every 5-10 miles, no double needed there. It is used mostly for Chicago traffic turning south at Ft Wayne or Bellevue.

Date: 08/06/01 03:08
Author: RichS

halfmoonharold wrote:
>
Although now that the geniuses put the new Cleveland intermodal terminal in Maple Hts. on the Pennsy, there is no access for Buffalo trains. The Chicago District has sidings every 5-10 miles, no double needed there. It is used mostly for Chicago traffic turning south at Ft Wayne or Bellevue.

It is my understanding a connection to the ex NKP can still be made for Buffalo trains in Cleveland. Not true? Also, vandalism potential is supposed to be reduced greatly with this I/M switch to Maple Hts. RichS.

Date: 08/06/01 13:04
intermodal intercourse
Author: halfmoonharold

What I meant was, Buffalo intermodal trains can't work the new facility. The cars would have to be handled via Rockport, then hauled across town by a yard job. There are no connections from the Pennsy main to the Nickel Plate main on the East Side. There was a proposal to build a connection from E.55th St. yard via the EL right-of-way thru Von Willer Yard to the Pennsy at Erie Crossing, but it was dropped. Even so, that wouldn't have been feasible for thru trains to work. It would make the yard move a little shorter, a crew from Maple Heights could come over to 55th st. to grab the cars, but there are no yard jobs assigned to the I/M yard. Basically, any I/M train that has Cleveland cars has to go via the Pennsy, and any new I/M trains via the Southern Tier could not work Cleveland. Supposing such a thing would exist... Of course, block-swaps like 205-to-145 can be done anywhere, it's originating or terminating traffic we're discussing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds