Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Thurmond W VA ?

Date: 08/06/01 17:04
Thurmond W VA ?
Author: Splicer

Has anyone been there lately? My last trip was in '97 and have since heard that CSX wanted the old structures gone.

Date: 08/06/01 18:25
RE: Thurmond W VA ?
Author: chichi41

Now that's a REALLY cool shot. I like it a lot!!! Sure wish I had taken it.
Ron W

Date: 08/06/01 18:46
Author: SteamFan_WV

All the buildings beside the tracks are still there but the two water tanks have fallen victim to the torch.

Zac

Date: 08/06/01 21:55
Author: TRKneller

Is that where they shot the movie "Matewan" that featured the FWRHS' NKP 765? Sure looks like it.

GREAT shot!

TRKneller

Date: 08/07/01 06:45
Author: works4ns

TRKneller wrote:
>
> Is that where they shot the movie "Matewan" that featured the
> FWRHS' NKP 765? Sure looks like it.
>
> GREAT shot!
>
> TRKneller

Yep, That's where Matewan was shot.......

Date: 08/07/01 07:35
Author: P

I was there 10 days ago, albeit on the westbound Cardinal. From what I could see, most of the structures are still there. The depot is in great shape. It is still a flagstop on the Cardinal, but we did not stop op on my trip. Pretty town -- I once stayed in the bank building when it was a hotel in the early 80's. We could sit on our second story window sill & watch the trains go by!

Date: 08/07/01 09:12

The Cardinal did stop while I was there, one person got off. The depot was well on the way to restoration. I find it somewhat amusing that I could spend so much time at such an out of the way location.........and still want to go back.

Date: 08/07/01 12:57
Author: daveoc1551

I was there after the station was restored and there was a Park service Ranger on duty. As the other poster said" I want to go back" so do i but dont ask why. Maybe it was the beauty of the New River Valley and the back to our roots atmosphere , no one in a hurry down there. We started at Gauley and went thru Hinton and down to mercer county.

Dave /Cols

Date: 08/07/01 21:23
Author: railrider

A lot could be said about the attraction of Thurmond. How many towns had a railroad for a main street? How many towns with a population of 6 have their own post office? How many other Amtrak stations are there (even flag stops) in a ghost town of 6 people?? Why is this an Amtrak stop at all? I have taken the Cardinal every July for the last 10 years and can remember only one stop in Thurmond. Is there some political reason for it's existance as an Amtrak stop? A neat and curious place!

Date: 08/08/01 05:38
Author: matt

I visited in 1997, shot a whole roll just in case I don't get back and there wasn't even a train in sight.

Of course by the time I got half way up the hill on my way out a freight goes right on through.

Matt

Date: 08/08/01 10:54

Didn't realize a Cardinal stop was so rare. I should have talked to the passenger :)

Date: 08/08/01 12:37
RE: Thurmond W VA ? Great Pictures
Author: usrailfan

Those are great pictures, I too have been fascinated by this area and visited Thurmond and Hinton last year. Do you have a website with more pictures?? I would love to see some more.

Thanks

US Railfan

Date: 08/09/01 11:43
RE: Thurmond W VA ? Great Pictures

Sorry, no page. I'm lucky I've got these slides half organized. 20 yrs and thousands of slides, where do you begin :o)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0338 seconds