Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Amtrak Heritage in the Boston area

Date: 04/01/13 20:36
Amtrak Heritage in the Boston area
Author: pennsy3750

First up we have Amtrak 406 bringing up the markers on train 689. This unit made its way to New England about a month ago, and wound up in the Downeaster pool. One night last week I went out to get a photo after I put the little guy to bed. I set up at the MBTA station at Woburn, and scoped out this spot. The 6' high perimeter fence had a guard rail in front of it; I was able to bungee cord the flashes to the top of the fence (you can see them if you look closely), and then stand on the guard rail to take the shot as the train departed for Haverhill and Points East. I attempted to beat the train to Haverhill for another shot and actually got there ahead of him; but alas, I was a little too slow, and didn't leave myself enough time to set up the flashes. Obviously, another attempt will be made!

Secondly we have P40 #822 leading the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited. Thanks to ToledoPatch's heads up on the passenger board I grabbed the camera bag after dinner. I had a night shot all worked out in my head for the Main Street crossing in Ashland - except for one problem. Now that we're into spring, 448 is getting into the Boston metro area before its dark. So, I called an audible and set up behind a business in Framingham for a panned shot.

And finally, some NS heritage...the Wabash unit made it to New Hampshire a month or so ago on a coal train for Bow. I went up one night to get my shots, since it passed through Massachusetts while I was stuck at work. (It was a crappy, cold, cloudy day anyway.) I also got to witness a chase on the way up there, when some idiot thought his Civic could outrun a trio of State Police Chargers, which made for a little entertainment on the way up I-93. The Civic would make it another five minutes before running out of gas, but I'm getting off topic, so I'm off to bed.

Non-member links to the full-size images can be found on my Flikr page here http://www.flickr.com/photos/paoloroffo/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/13 20:37 by pennsy3750.

Date: 04/01/13 20:42
Re: Amtrak Heritage in the Boston area
Author: Poker2662

Three very awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/02/13 01:26
Author: JPB

Just finished touring your Flickr site - that's a terrific collection of photos. Your hard work finding interesting, less traveled, well composed Boston area RR photos makes the area RR scene look a lot less humdrum than I thought it was. Steam photos are excellent, too. Keep it up!

Date: 04/02/13 04:35
Author: toledopatch

Glad somebody made good use of that 822 alert. Is it going back west on #449 today?

Date: 04/02/13 04:56
Author: agrafton

Very interesting approach to night photos in area not seen to often.
Beautiful photos well done.
Alan

Date: 04/02/13 05:01
Author: jmbreitigan

Thank you for sharing your excellent photos of seldom seen areas. Great night shots.
John

Date: 04/02/13 09:05
Author: jtwlunch

Really nice photo coverage of some great subjects. Everyone says Nice Work! but all those photos looked like a lot of fun to be there. The air stuff was great especially the F100!

Jim Wilson

Date: 04/02/13 14:13
Author: ns1000

Poker2662 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Three very awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.
>
> Posted from Android

AGREED....!!!

Date: 04/02/13 18:04
Author: TedS-P

Sweet shots, I really like the pan but they're all pretty cool!

Ted S-P

Date: 04/02/13 20:08
Author: RuleG

Your first or second photo should be Image of the Day. Both are stunning.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds