Home Open Account Help 180 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Track Diagram Question

Date: 04/18/13 16:39
NS Track Diagram Question
Author: ns2557

I know that most RR's have a set of charts/diagrams whatever ya want to call them for crews in Divisions/Sub Divisions that deal with switching/spotting of Cars. On CR they were ZTS, on ATSF, CLIC Charts, SP was SPINS, you get the idea. Did PC/RDG/LV/N&W etc have the same, and if so what were they known as? Curious mind wants to know. TIA Ben

Date: 04/18/13 17:47
Re: NS Track Diagram Question
Author: FL9

Penn Central's system was called DICCS, for "Demurrage Industrial Car Control System."

Date: 04/18/13 19:23
Author: wag2200

I have some old NYC maps for Ohio points that are also labeled ZTS (same as the later Conrail maps).

Date: 04/18/13 19:54
Author: wa4umr

There's a company in Indianapolis that has a bunch of this kind of stuff but I cant recall their name. Search NS trak diagram on e-bay and you might find them. (Lot's of help, aint I?) They sell on and off of e-bay.

John

Date: 04/18/13 20:20
Author: tp117

There are several issues here.

'Track Charts' usually refer to, on any railroad charts that are drawn, later computer generated, that show the grades, curvature, road crossings, rail weight and much other Maintenance of Way info about the TRACK structure. Rarely do they show much side track info or customer names. Conrail's ZTS maps, on the other hand, do show the info on track diagrams at customer locations and customer names and car spot info, but they are not to some prescribed scale, as are track charts. ZTS meant: 'Zone (on the CR system) Track, (by its number and description) and Spot, where a crew could put a car at a customer location.

In a printed format, at least at that time in the 80s and 90s, it was impossible to put TRACK CHART and M of W info on the same printed page. I have track charts and other track diagram info from several RRs and they do vary alot about how much they show and info they give. The old NYC had diagrams which I have some of, but forgot the name, which were very detailed, but they show no grade/curve track type info.

If any of you have such above info save it, do not discard. When you are done with it share it with a RR or local historical society or the NRHS. do not trash. They are a part of RR history.

Date: 04/18/13 21:26
Author: wabash2800

It's RailfanDepot.com run by Tim. Tim has a couple of my New York Central books he was supposed to copy for resale and return to me but I haven't got them back yet...

wa4umr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a company in Indianapolis that has a bunch
> of this kind of stuff but I cant recall their
> name. Search NS trak diagram on e-bay and you
> might find them. (Lot's of help, aint I?) They
> sell on and off of e-bay.
>
> John

Date: 04/19/13 12:42
Author: Out_Of_Service

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's RailfanDepot.com run by Tim. Tim has a couple
> of my New York Central books he was supposed to
> copy for resale and return to me but I haven't got
> them back yet...
>
> wa4umr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There's a company in Indianapolis that has a
> bunch
> > of this kind of stuff but I cant recall their
> > name. Search NS trak diagram on e-bay and you
> > might find them. (Lot's of help, aint I?)
> They
> > sell on and off of e-bay.
> >
> > John

maybe a phone call to Tim is in order :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds