Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Indiana Railroad Photo Suggestions

Date: 07/02/13 13:51
Indiana Railroad Photo Suggestions
Author: RDG630

Thinking about a trip to photograph the Indiana Railroad, what would be some good locations?

Date: 07/02/13 13:53
Re: Indiana Rail Road Photo Suggestions
Author: toledopatch

The only trains of theirs I have ever caught were in the Indy area. I have chased the SAHW (Senate Ave Yd to Hiawatha Yd) road freight out of town twice on Saturday afternoons, and on one of those trips I also got a heads-up about an inbound coal train on a Saturday morning.

Hiawatha, at Jasonville, Ind., is the base of most of their coal operations, so it's another place I'd consider going. Terre Haute or Sullivan, Ind., strike me as other reasonable wait-for-a-train locations given the other traffic that runs through those communities. Beyond that, I'm open to advice, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/13 13:54 by toledopatch.

Date: 07/02/13 14:29
Author: P

The large trestles at Tulip and Lake Lemon are very photogenic. The tunnel east of Lake Lemon is nice, but it is tight quarters and difficult to get to.

There are many good spots, but this railroad is extremely difficult if not impossible to chase a train on. It is hard to get many shots of the same train as parallel roads are non-existant for more than a couple of miles at a time.

A lot of time is necessary to get any shots on this line as traffic is sparse and moves fast.

Would love to see any results you are able to get.

Date: 07/02/13 15:08
Author: Sasquatch

Where do they tie-down the big SD9043MACs, Terra Haute?

Thanks...

-Tom

Date: 07/02/13 15:21
Author: toledopatch

Sasquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where do they tie-down the big SD9043MACs, Terre
> Haute?
>
> Thanks...

I don't know what yard facilities INRD has at Terre Haute. I imagine they are mostly found at Hiawatha when not in use.

Date: 07/02/13 18:04
Author: INRD1753

The main engine facility is at Hiawatha (Jasonville), so that is where you should find anything not on assignment.

Gerald

Date: 07/03/13 02:58
Author: RockIsland4310

Double check me, but I believe the tunnel is west/southwest of the Lake Lemon trestle. (also called Shuffle Creek Trestle)

Date: 07/03/13 06:34
Author: junctiontower

Yes. the tunnel is southwest of Lake Lemon. Take IN 45 west from the lake to North Tunnel Road. It's a very short distance up the road, but you would have to climb down to track level to see much. Also, sometimes empty coal train sets with SD9043MAC power are parked in Dixie Siding on the south side of Indy. If there, they can be viewed from the road crossing on W. Epler Avenue, just west of Bluff Road. This is just south of I 465.

Date: 07/03/13 06:59
Author: SD45X

Dugger diamond and Switz City would be the next best. Been to Indy three times, no luck. Tulip trestle only has a couple trains on it now. If they run in the daylight.
Switz City has the Indiana Southern to watch for as well as INRD. And they have a INRD shop here as well, sometimes 3-4 engines. Dugger has the diamond and the higher volume traffic.
New shop being built at Janesville, so not sure if you will see engines sitting outside anymore. Might be finished by now. They do park on the wye here.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds