Home Open Account Help 177 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > E-L unit comes home

Date: 10/17/01 15:56
E-L unit comes home
Author: CRmac80

Just getting back from a couple of hours shooting CSX through town,and got lucky to catch HLCX SDP-45 6515,an ex Erie Lackawanna unit, on the point of Q640 in Akron.Caught it passing the grassy field that was once the Erie Lackawanna yard in town.Can anyone clue me in on the history of this unit,from EL to CR to ? to HLCX ?Rare bird when built,and to see it in 2001 running so close to it's former mainline-neat.Guess this can be a heads up for Buffalo if the power isn't changed out at Collinwood.Thanks in advance! RAD

Date: 10/17/01 17:36
RE: E-L unit comes home

....almost forgot this little bit of irony-it was this day,Oct 17th,
1960 that the Erie and the DL&W merged to form EL.Usless info maybe,but where are any other remaining exEL units today? RAD

Date: 10/18/01 09:19
Author: RayH

Remember that there are 8 former EL SDP45's roaming the UP system. They are now rated at 3000hp, and classified as SD40-3's. SP had these units rebuilt by MK in the early 90's. "Generally" these units stay on SP rails in Southern California, and one has been the switcher at ICTF (Dolores Yard, Long Beach CA) for the past few weeks. I believe that at least one is in full UP colors, and the remainder (at least the ones I've seen) do not have the UP patch (yet). Would appreciate the lineage on the 6515. I suspect it's the same unit I shot in Anaheim, CA 7 years ago as MKCX 9515, still in Conrail blue.

Date: 10/18/01 10:11
Author: CRsmurf

Hello,

You lucky Dog RAD!!!!!! :-) On the point yet to boot!!! Geez
that is just sickening!!!! HaHaHa!!!!!! :-) As for the former
EL number, I am not sure how you would find that out. Good luck,
and Take Care.

Tony K, CRsmurf

Date: 10/18/01 11:49
Author: keysubdiv

HLCX 6515 was just in the shops at Cumberland this weekend for turbo work. Must have just got back on the road. Sorry, this was the best I could do.

Tom

Date: 10/18/01 12:24
Author: punxyspatcher

I'm glad someone pointed out it was just at Cumberland Railfest this past weekend. I was about to say the same. It was at last years too, but under the shed at the turntable. Great luck catching it on the lead, and good luck catching it again in the future, its a sweety of a unit!

MIke (2-8-2)

Date: 10/19/01 20:44

Thanks to all for checking.I do remember now about the SP's.Maybe I'll get lucky and have one on one of my jobs out of Rockport in Cleveland.Last trip down had SP tunnel motor no.8307 for my 2nd unit,so who knows! RAD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds