Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Hogan Personality Test (lengthy)

Date: 10/17/01 22:29
Hogan Personality Test (lengthy)
Author: JWR123

I was browsing some previous postings and came up on one about conductor hiring. The posting mentioned the 'hogan personality test' in that post, it was illuded to that on a question, for example,

'do you speed?'

The poster stated that you should always answer "never". Regardless of the honesty of your answer. Is this true? If you answer sometimes does that automaticly disqualify you?

Also, is this the same test that asks questions to the effect of.

'I consider myself the life of the party'

Going by the above method of answering, LOL would this answer be Never??? or Always? If you answer always, then you are a party animal, if you answer never then you are some kind of anti social person LOLOL. So should you go for sometimes???? Makes you think, judging from the suggestions on answering I have read.

I've taken personality tests before for various jobs and never had a problem. But I have actually known of someone being shot down from a railroad position by that very test. It made me wonder, what in the world did they do to not make the cut on that test? I guess that happening is not a life shattering experience in itself. Some people just aren't suited for that line of work. Still makes you wonder. After hearing of this, I made a post a while back inquiring to exactly what kind of personality is looking for, since its obvious some dont fit the railroad's profile????? I would guess its pretty much along the same lines as any job out there in corp america but more of a focus on safety and being responcible and detail oriented??

Now that I have been layed off from the aviation industry, due to the tragic events of Sept 11. (Me being one of the many personally affected, in so many ways, by Osama's act) I am seriously considering giving the railroad a shot myself (lord knows i'm used to layoffs so thats not a problem in itself LOL). But to be honest, after knowing of people that actually bombed out on the personality test and hearing the above methods of answering (illuded to in other posts), it really clouds my thoughts on how it should be approached? I would say, just go in and take it, be true to your real thoughts and dont over analize. But now I do wonder, are there any sure fire ways to get disqualified in a personality test from a wrong answer, i.e. speeding, etc.

Inquiring Minds Want to Know?

Thanks in advance

Date: 10/17/01 23:28
RE: Hogan Personality Test (lengthy)
Author: saludamtn

I took a CSX test once for a ym job, answered every question as conservatively as I could and still got a form letter two days later. The job was advertised but that was all. They had a guy take the test who had ym experience so they could say it was open. don't know how often that happens, but I have my suspicions.

Date: 10/18/01 03:20
"Ho-GAAAAANNNN!!!"
Author: halfmoonharold

Sorry, I couldn't resist the Klink line. Regarding the second post, that's probably a common occurrence: they already knew who they wanted, but had to post it as an opening anyway. Not sure what the federal rules are on that. On the test, just be honest. I strongly suggest networking if you want a RR job. It REALLY helps to have that "inside" connection to get your foot in the door. The best type of job to get around that would be conductor. If they intend to hire lots of conductors, they'll just about HAVE to take some people right off the street. At this point, there are probably people furloughed who were hired and trained in anticipation of the 60/30 bill passing. In all honesty, your best chance will be after that bill passes, when they find out how many of those people are still interested. But don't give up! It took me 2 years and 3 tries to get hired.

Date: 10/18/01 22:57
RE: Hogan Personality Test (lengthy)
Author: hotrails

I took the HOGAN test for a CSX conductor,around four years ago.Some questions have an obvious answer.You will be asked the same questions in differant ways,so that they can get a glimpse of your personality.You can get a book on the seven,(I beleive),personality types at the library.The railroad doesnt want people that have to be sociable all the time because you wont have a social life working for the railroad.And they dont want loners that have no life but the railroad.Because they might stess out to much when they get furloghed and do some damage.They want hard working,independant people that can make rational desitions while running a train in the middle of nowhere.On your job hunt I wouldnt go with freight till the economy improves or 60/30 passes.I would try to get on with Amtrack,because they will probably need more conductors as more people take the train instead of the plane.But you might have to move to a diferant city,but you better get used to moving anyway.Goodluck

Date: 10/19/01 09:56
RE: Hogan Personality Test (lengthy reply)
Author: ns1

JWR123,

Hi. About 5-6 years ago, I went to several hiring sessions for NS & took these tests you're speaking of. My first thoughts were to answer the questions as I thought most railroaders would. So, natural, they'd answer yes, to do you speed, have you ever felt like hitting your boss, are you the life of the party etc? My reasoning was they'd want to find a good "cultural mix" for a new guy who'd meld in with the personalities of the people already employed.

Boy was I wrong! Someone later told me that this "personality test" was more of a "safety test" & to look at the question that way, keeping in mind NS is extremely safety conscious. So, I answered conservatively extreme on the side of safety at the next session. I Never: speed, feel like hitting my boss, never the life of the party, etc. And guess what....

In the final round of the process, when I was called for an interview, the HR officer told me he had never had anyone score 100% on the "personality test." Hell, even I was blown away!!

Keeping in mind, sad as it may be, the railroad wants someone who has no problem working 24/7 & being safe, & basically giving up their life & conforming their entire lifestyle to their rules and beckon calls --at least for the most part. And hey, if you really were like you answered all those questions, you'd be a pretty boring , lifeless SOB.

If, and when, you (or others) decide to take these "tests" be consistent with your answers, as most questions are posed 2 or 3 different ways. While I can't be certain, I have a feeling if you answer one question "always", and a similar question "never," it probably throws up a flag to the computer scoring you.

JWR123 wrote:
I was browsing some previous postings and came up on one about conductor hiring. The posting mentioned the 'hogan personality test'
....in that post, it was eluded to that on a question, for example, 'do you speed?' The poster stated that you should always answer "never". Regardless of the honesty of your answer. Is this true? If you answer sometimes does that automatically disqualify you?

[NS-1]
I wouldn't say it disqualifies you, but maybe a certain percentage of answers as to what the railroad may view as questionable behavior (in their eyes) would land you in the 2nd or 3rd choice batch of applicants, or a lower score. Remember: if you speed in your car, their mind set is you may be likely to try and speed with one of their trains.

JWR123 wrote:
Also, is this the same test that asks questions to the effect of.
'I consider myself the life of the party' Going by the above method of answering, LOL would this answer be Never??? or Always? If you answer always, then you are a party animal, if you answer never then you are some kind of anti social person LOLOL. So should you go for sometimes???? Makes you think, judging from the suggestions on answering I have read.

[NS-1]
In this question if you answer yes, sure you may be fun to be around, but in the railroad's eyes you have a social life & "like to party." And, maybe you'll like to party so much, you'll be prone to calling in sick on the weekends, possibly more prone to showing up for work intoxicated, or not being focused on your duties at work.

====
I'm just relaying my experiences I have encountered & now I can see what type of "personality" the railroad wants. In *my opinion,* they want someone who will be 100% dedicated to them, 24/7 anytime the phone may ring, someone who will be smart enough to get the train over the road, but who won't ask too many questions to rock the boat. They don't want your input, they want you to conform to their rules 7 way of thinking.

Also they usually prefer someone of military background (which suggest such person would be adept at conforming to rules and understand the "chain of command process.") ie follows orders & assigned tasks well.
Additionally, the seem to like EMS, firefighters, and police backgrounds due to those professions being accustomed to working odd hours & again following rules & procedures.

I enjoy my job, but caution **it's not for everyone.** Be prepared to give up any social life, time with your family, any concept of a "normal day," most planned activities, & endure a small salary during training. Again, in my opinion, the work it not that hard, but this job carries a lot of extra baggage & requires immense sacrifices from you and your family to say the very least.

Another point I'd like to touch on is them asking "why do you want to work for the railroad?" I -did- tell them I liked trains & some folks in my step-dad's family & people on my grandparents side of the family worked for the railroad, though I was not close to any of them... AND, in the same breath, I assured them that I would be able to set aside the often "romanticized view" of the railroads most casual observers have, and reasoned that if I liked my job and had an interest in it, I'd be likely to excel at my profession. They seemed to accept that answer.

Oh, & I guess you're wondering if I got hired? In the session where I made a 100% on their "personality test" (which I dub a safety test) I was hired.

These are just my personal experiences, but If you'd like to know more, just email me & I'll be glad to speak further on the matter.

NS1

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1692 seconds