Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > From a time long ago....

Date: 10/18/01 10:29
From a time long ago....
Author: RRKen

Long ago, excursions were common place along the rails. Even in small communities, the agents sought out organizations to drum up business. Some like the Baptists Woman ran an annual excursion to Chicago every year. Others were like this handbill, for special events.

Enjoy.

A friend and poster to these pages sent me a package years ago of items found at a depot including this handbill. I am indebted to his kindness.

RRKen
Mason City, IA

Date: 10/18/01 10:56
RE: From a time long ago....
Author: chico

Believe it or not, there is STILL a TS&M depot standing! It is the property of the W. Mich RR Hist. Society, a NHRS chapter, and is found in the little town of Sparta, a few miles north of Grand Rapids. It is restored, complete with a piece of old TS&M track, few antique RR cars & tools. The semaphore that stands outside was saved from the AA depot at Mt. Pleasant Mi. The interior is also preserved, which serves as the chapter's meeting room. Worth the visit. The TS&M was a Muskegon-east route, which paralled the GTW by a few miles. It later became a GTW property, and was abandoned after WW2 in favor of GT's route from Durand-Grand Rapids-Muskegon (now abandoned east of Ionia). Eastward, at Sparta, the TS&M crossed the Pere Marquette Balwin sub, then went eastward towards Greenville, Mi., where a tower once protected a crossing with the PM (C&O, GRE, Railamerica). I don't think the line actually ever got built as far as Toledo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0269 seconds