Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Crunch

Date: 11/08/01 07:01
NS Crunch
Author: run8

This photo and description is posted on behalf of gtirr, who is still having problems posting to the forum:

"This NS engine was on a train that had struck a truck carrying coil steel rolls that had gone around the gates at Burns Harbor (IN). One of the rolls broke loose and smashed into the cab. The eng'r "Big-Holed" the train and hit the floor and the cond'r was right behind (On Top Of) him. Minor injuries to the Cond'r only. No word on the truck driver. "

gtirr

Date: 11/08/01 08:27
RE: NS Crunch
Author: GTWFAN

As i had mentioned on an earlier post, (Oddball NS Dash-9 #9162) I wish all Dash-9's looked like this:-)

Date: 11/08/01 22:58
Author: tucker

Well, loafe them or hate them, that picture shows right there why crews and unions want saftey cabs. If that was a spartan cab locomotive, the conductor of that train would not be with us today. Thanks to the good engineer's at GE, all that the wives of these crew members had to do was a load of laundry rather than plan a funeral. So, next time you see a dash 9 in the lead and curse NS a bluestreak, just remember this picture, what could have happened if that wasn't a saftey cab.

Ok, off my soapbox, flame away if you must.

Date: 11/08/01 23:35
Author: cr-engineer1

No complaints about safety cabs here. Had the conductor not dived over by the engineer, it wouldn't have mattered what kind of cab he was in. From what I know, the steel was right up against the control stand and smashed the conductor's seat. I'm not sure how far back it got beyond that. Had it hit dead center, I doubt if either would have escaped injury or death. I know the engineer and conductor. I'm not sure if the conductor is coming back to work. You can't come any closer to death than that. I think that he will be set for life. He deserves it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds