Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > ACR

Date: 11/10/01 02:53
ACR
Author: 3rdRail

Taken 11/01 switching just up the line fro Aberdean NC.

Date: 11/10/01 07:11
RE: ACWR
Author: KNTower

That sure looks different than my first exposure to the AC&W probably 10 years ago now. Those were the days of the weekday Star-Charlotte Turn. The AC&W doesn't come to Charlotte every weekday now because the NS interchange location has moved to Gulf.

Regular power back in those early days was repainted GP9 #900, the only locomotive painted in AC&W's colors at the time, and an ex-N&W GP9 #699. There was also an old C&O Geep torn apart at Star and several other old rattlers. It was classic shortline railroading.

At least one of those GP38's came from CSX and was painted in CSX's gray-and-blue scheme. The AC&W painted a big blue triangle on the side of the long hood to cover the CSX logo. They look a whole lot better today.

The fine folks at the AC&W even participated in an NS steam program excursion out of Charlotte back in the early 90s. This was the circle trip that was scheduled to run from Charlotte to Winston-Salem behind N&W 611, although 611 stalled on a hill near Mocksville and they never got her moving again. A set of NS and CSX diesels were called out of Winston-Salem to rescue our train. Upon arrival at Winston-Salem, the diesels took us south on the Winston-Salem Southbound to Norwood, where we connected with the AC&W. I believe the AC&W power on that final leg of the trip was that pair of old GP9's. It was quite a trip.

KN Tower

Date: 11/10/01 09:34
Author: NYC_L4a

In late summer of '91 they also ran a Charlotte to Gulf ( Carbonton ) round trip on the AC&W. It was planned to have SRR 4501 pulling but when we arrived at Charlotte yard we found out that AC&W diesels would pinch-hit- no matter, the trip was great. 3 high-nose geeps ( GP9#900 leading and 2 dog's breakfast GP7's ) made GREAT music on the up-and-down profile and many curves. Rode the entire trip standing at the open dutch door vestibule and enjoyed every minute of it. Talk about "rare mileage".

Date: 11/10/01 10:07
Author: 3rdrail

How was that view across the dam? Always wanted to film a train going across there.

Date: 11/10/01 15:22
ACWR #900 Today
Author: jch9596

Unfortunately, 900 is at the loco graveyard in Star now looking very, very bad. AC&W is still an interesting road to fan with the ex-Chessie #2077 still with the cat, the four GP40 wide cabs -- can't remember the exact designation right now -- and the two high hood blue GPs. I wish I could get up there more.

Joe H.
Chester, SC

Date: 11/11/01 06:59
ACWR #2207 Today (Recently, anyway)

I'm not sure if this shot was taken the same day as mine of 900 was or not. Chances are that it was as Star is a long way for me to go just for roster shots. This unit is still used on a regular basis. It has been planned to be painted in ACW colors for some time and numbered in the 3800 series.

Joe H.

Date: 11/11/01 07:08
ACWR #2207 Today: THE IMAGE

I swear this image was attached when I hit post. But then my computer lost the connection and the post lost it's image... anyway....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds