Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > working for the Railroad

Date: 11/25/01 18:22
working for the Railroad
Author: eddiej

my son just turned 21 and is looking for a career,he works hard and loves the outdoors ,he ask me about railroading because he knowes i love to watch trains butt i have no advice for him would appreciate some feed back from those of you who know many thanks ps if it matters he lives in nashville tn.

Date: 11/25/01 19:07
RE: working for the Railroad
Author: cr-engineer1

I happen to enjoy it. NS makes it tough, though. Railroading and NS don't go together. I really wouldn't recommend working for these Bozos. Maybe he should start out on a short line or regional. If he is a fan, leave it at home. There will be plenty of time for that if he makes it a career.

Date: 11/25/01 19:24
Author: eddiej

thanks for the feedback he is looking at csx he is not a fan only his dad is

Date: 11/25/01 21:21
Author: CP101

From my personal experiance with trying to get on the railroad it has been harder then what I thought it would be. NS and CSX both are coping with the economy and aren't hiring as much so instead of waiting for a miracle to come I decided to join college and earn something while I wait plus a backup plan isn't bad either in case the railroad hires you and then lays you off. So if he's trying to get hired and can't get on advise him to go to college and just keep listen to the hot line on either railroad. I too want to join the T-System, but remember that it cost 4 grand to join them also so tell him to save up.

Date: 11/25/01 23:00
long winded response
Author: DRLOCO

Eddie, Tom and group:
I hired out in1996, for the Big Blue. It's not CSX, that's for dang sure, but it's still the only job I've ever really considered. Railroading was said best by Edna St. Vincent Milay: "...Hours of boredom interrupted by moments of stark terror." It's dirty, physically demanding work--if you're a conductor...If you're an engineer, it's less dirty, and more mentally tough. The hours are quite impossible to figure...If your son has any social life at all, it will be severely curtailed and/or stopped by the railroad. New Hires Like me typically wait around all week and then come thursday-sunday go gangbusters working on our rest. It doesn't help the social situation when the rest of the "normal" world is partying on Friday night, and you go past them on a train, wishing you were with them, beer in hand.. It's dangerous work, one moment's inattention can kill you. I was told upon hiring out "You don't get a broken finger or small cut if you get hurt here...you get an arm or leg amputated or killed. this equipment is stealthy, and it can kill you."
Hiring in now is not too likely, unfortunately, as the economy has slowed...there are even rumours of CSX laying off 25% of it's labor...that would put me on the street...that makes me nervous. Ive covered some of the negative aspects, now the positive...The outdoors...there's truly nothing like it. To be on a 60MPH freight that's heading straight for the sunrise is an event that gets to me ever time...Watching a thunderstorm form on the western horizon and blast over your head in 15 minutes is incredible...the subtle, yet noticible changing of seasons...I get to see deer (saw an incredible 12pointer last trip!) quail, phesant, racoons, people being "overly romantic(and naked)" in cars next to the tracks, in the middle of nowhere...I have seen some incredible things, much more than if I was stuck in a cubicle!
Invest in good warm clothes...Carhart overalls and a black-lined jacket have served me well these years...and now have that "authentic" worn look that the girls rave about!
A shortline is a great place to gain experience, and the trust and confidence you need to be successful at this job. At first, railroading seems like a card game you've been dealt into, and you dont know the mechanics of the game. Soon, it'll be old hand. Have a thick skin...The instructions of old heads are occasionally in the form of yelling and screaming that certainly qualifies as verbal abuse. Bad as that is, that's how they werer taught, and in the end, we all want to go home at the end of the day. NObody EVER, be it management, labour, or bystander, wants anyone to be hurt, maimed, or killed.
In conclusion, to get any further than an engineer or conductor, a college degree is absolutely imperative...if he's still in school, tell him to stick it out, get that management degree...railroads love that! IT's a tough job, but the rewards are equally fufilling. Coaxing a 12,000 ton train over the hill knowing that some other engineers can't do it gives me a feeling of pride and accomplishment that can't be beat!~~DRLOCO

"I love my job!" BG Chance, CSX Indianapolis Termianl Manager

Date: 11/26/01 04:04
Author: VunderBob

eddiej wrote:
>
> my son just turned 21 and is looking for a career,he works hard
> and loves the outdoors ,he ask me about railroading because he
> knowes i love to watch trains butt i have no advice for him
> would appreciate some feed back from those of you who know many
> thanks ps if it matters he lives in nashville tn.

I spent a couple of years affiliated with a couple of tourist operations. I had a broad exposure to just about everything that could be done as a railroad job, and while it was fun to do on the weekends, I found out quickly that I would have hated it as a career.

Is there a volunteer group that he could join to get a bit of exposure?

VunderBob

Date: 11/26/01 06:19
Author: Xingman

If he is single and would like to travel a bit, tell him to get on a signal gang. There are other railroad jobs out there other than part of a train crew if that isn't his taste. The signal industry is a good technical field and gets you out into the outdoors. I really enjoy it.

Xingman
http://home.internetcds.com/~xingman/
Maintaining the signals of the Siskiyou Line

Date: 11/26/01 08:12
Author: joeygooganelli

i have worked for the railroad for a little over 3 years. before that, i was volunteering. its a good job, and yes it has its tolls on you. i am only 22 and keep a decent social life. just not always on a weekend. if he really wants it, its can be done. but, you have to seperate railroading from fanning and modeling. granted i still get away from it, but its hard. most railroaders hate what they refer to as "foamers". but, i still take a camera to work and still model. i just got back from fanning in houston. so, have at it, just stay as relaxed as you can. you will get furlouged, tired, short payed, etc.

Joe

Date: 11/26/01 17:59
Author: vrsfan

Wise words from a railroader....

If it's the RR he has a passion for, then focus on shortline operations. While he won't make the money he would on a Class 1 operation (average 30G), at least he'll have a life and the oppotunity to get married, enjoy life, etc. Locally, I'd try the Nashville & Eastern, Central of TN & Navigation (still called this?), Caney Fork & Western, and many others within an hour's drive.

If it's the money he craves, then I would go to a Class 1 (upwards of 50-75G). Many are holding hiring sessions all over. CSXT has college courses at local community colleges, and you must pass this to hire new w/ them. NS holds "recruiting" sessions at area hotels generally. Can't speak for UP or BNSF. I'd imagine his local bet here is CSXT. The difference from above is you sacrafice every lasting moment for a youngster his age, and may even grow to hate the industry and his job. Just depends on how much tolerance one has I suppose.

Heop this helps...

Date: 11/26/01 18:18
Author: imrl

Not everybody can work for a railroad. Some people just aren't ready for the drastic lifestyle change. Some people can get lucky, but if he goes to work for a class 1, I'd almost bet that he'll be working nights and weekends for quite some time. Also, with the current economy climate, he might finish his training and get cut off the day after. A friend of mine (SantaFe) hired out on the BNSF and got cut off when he finished his training and didn't get called back for well over a year, and as it is now, he's just barely hanging on.

As for myself? I started when I was 14 volunteering at a local tourist railroad and absolutely loved it. When I hired out when I was 20, I thought I knew everything. Boy was I WRONG. But, I trained with wonderful people, and I absolutely LOVE my job (they actually pay me for this?) As pointed out before, there is nothing more beautiful then speeding across the country-side watching the sun come up, or being out in the middle of nowhere, seeing the clear night sky without the lights of the city drowning out the stars.

But NEWays, if and when he gets the opportunity to get an interview, makes sure he asks lots of questions, and also make sure he thinks it out very hard. Then, if he still wants to go for it, good luck. And don't let the old heads get to him. They were in his shoes at one point and time.

Greg Murray
Imrl Conductor/Switchman 2 years and counting...

Date: 11/30/01 09:18
long winded
Author: james1

Also, the older power, by which I mean anything older than about 6 yrs. old, doesn't have A/C. The heaters don't work well and the engines are loud. You will be yelled at by some point by an old head, maybe several times. The outdoors in the dead of winter are absolutely no fun. Irregular hrs., inconsistent time at home, ratty hotels on the other end, and the list goes on. On the other hand, there really is nothing like blasting through your home town at 60 or 70. On the nice days, there is nothing better than getting paid for a ride in the country. Once you get to know what you are doing it's a great bunch of guys with few exceptions. Also, the money's good on the big railroads. If he already has a family, this should probably be a family decision. The time away from home will be considerable, and he can figure on missing the holidays everyone else is at home for. All that being said, I have a family, and actually like my job. You have to take the good with the bad, and don't get too worked up about the small stuff.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0952 seconds