Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Pup Doing It's Duty

Date: 11/01/13 14:50
A Pup Doing It's Duty
Author: Out_Of_Service

i don't know the local symbol of this crew out of Ann Street in Philly returning with a couple of empties from working the Venice Industrial in the background past the crossover where NS services a paper plant ... they are on the yard lead headed towards the yard in West Falls ... this is all former Reading Railroad territory ... the tracks to the left are now designated mains of the NS Harrisburg Line ... the paper plant use to receive boxcars but i haven't seen any delivered in quite a while

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/13 15:08 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 11/01/13 15:23
Re: A Pup Doing It's Duty
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice photos OOS, especially photo #2. Could you tell a newbie like me what is a "pup" ?
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/13 15:29 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 11/01/13 16:41
Author: HB90MACH

That local is out of Abrams yard. not Philly. The paper plant does still get boxcars. A lot of them too. That local runs daily. Very rarely does it have only tanks.

On Another note. The expressway only has a narrow 8 foot shoulder there. That is the only place to get those shots. They do not call it the sure kill for nothing. I hope those shots were from being stuck in traffic.

Date: 11/01/13 17:31
Author: moltensulphur

HB - Why the whine about the narrow shoulder? OOS got the shots. Leave it at that.

Date: 11/01/13 18:30
Author: HB90MACH

It is more of a warning to others not to look for that spot. That is a very dangerous road. In this case being on the tracks is far safer. I work on that road and others through the region. You really dont understand how dangerous the highways with narrow shoulders (or highways in general) are until you have to work on them.

Date: 11/01/13 18:39
Author: agrafton

Nice photos, enjoy seeing a working stiff

Date: 11/01/13 19:19
Author: Gonut1

O.O.S.
2101 calls Abrams home. Where is Ann Street in Philly? Or are am I thinking of Annville? I saw a Queen Anne County steam train once. I didn't think NS had any facilities in the city? Was AnnStreet a Reading engine facility? Gee I'm confused.
As for a pup, Usually referring to any EMD end cab switcher unless you are in ex-SP country where they call them "Cruds".
Almost forgot to mention, I stood on the narrow shoulder of the Pennsylvania Turnpike to take a picture of a relatively rare short line operation once. I'm not sure which was scarier, taking the picture or trying to get back out into traffic rolling by at 70+ MPH? Thank you for risking life and limb, the shots are great.
Gonut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/13 19:22 by Gonut1.

Date: 11/01/13 19:29
Author: dschlegel

Neat shots! Every time I drive that road I am white knuckles and wishing I can check out the trains, but scared out of my mind that I'm going to miss a jerk driver weaving lanes and passing me while I'm driving with the flow of traffic which is usually like a parking lot moving at 70 per.
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/01/13 20:55
Author: GPutz

NS SW1001 #2101 is ex-CR #9409, exx-RDG #2609. Gerry

Date: 11/01/13 22:12
Author: Out_Of_Service

thanks guys ... really no big deal as for being in a bad spot traffic was rush hour gridlock ... John your question about the pup was answered ... thanks for the correction

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> O.O.S.
> 2101 calls Abrams home. Where is Ann Street in
> Philly?
> Gonut

Ann Street is on the waterfront adjacent to the northbound side of I95 just south of the Allegheny Ave Exit at the base of the former Reading Lehigh Ave yard where the grain elevator was located present site of Riverside Materials ... also thanks HB and Gman for the correction ... i did what i despise most ... i made an assumption based on nothing

nice Gerry that an ex Reading unit is on home turf

Date: 11/02/13 02:23
Author: jobrazy

Cool shot! That area of the freeway is tough, dangerous and gridlocked!

I saw NS 2101 sitting in Landdale a couple days ago with a small cut of wire and box cars. Someone else noted that this used to be a Reading switcher repainted.

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 11/02/13 04:20
Author: RDG630

The Lansdale NS switcher you saw was 2102, not 2101. 2102 is on lease to SEPTA for wire train service during the time their diesels are in leaf fighting mode.

Date: 11/02/13 21:50
Author: tq-07fan

GPutz Wrote:
> NS SW1001 #2101 is ex-CR #9409, exx-RDG #2609.
> Gerry

That's neat. The little pup that came back home.

Jim

Date: 11/02/13 21:53
Author: tq-07fan

GPutz Wrote:
> NS SW1001 #2101 is ex-CR #9409, exx-RDG #2609.
> Gerry

That's neat. The little pup that came back home. Interesting little thread OOS. End cab switchers with a few cars is something less common today. Of course no one would have looked if it had been titled A Pup Doing It's Business!

Jim

Date: 11/03/13 02:02
Author: jobrazy

Yup,

My mistake...sorry. I saw 2101 in Lansdale yesterday morning parked next tot the station.

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 11/04/13 05:08
Author: OHRY

The 2100's are the only things allowed on the Venice industrial due to clearances.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0614 seconds