Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Tampa Clearwater St Pete area - what goes on

Date: 02/20/14 19:29
Tampa Clearwater St Pete area - what goes on
Author: Baxtersta

While there have been some recent strings concerning some of the railroad activity in the Tampa - St Pete - Clearwater area, I would still like to pose the question about what is / are the best place(s) to see some representative action around there. I'll be in that area for baseball with non-railfan friends and would like to get an occasional train fix to keep my head clear.

Date: 02/21/14 02:44
Re: Tampa Clearwater St Pete area - what goes on
Author: gg1tim

I would suggest going to the Rockport area as it has several Phosphate trains plus the Tropicana train and if lucky a coal train for the Big Bend Power plant. Best time would be from about early am to about just past noon from my experiance. Also if time permits you could drive to either Plant City or Mulberry. Hope this helps.

Date: 02/21/14 04:28
Author: Narr8rdanny

Pinellas county (St Pete/Clearwater) sees O-701, a daily local that originates in Clearwater and works industries in the area. Early mornings, as I understand it.
There is also O-702, the Clearwater turn that originates in Clearwater in the late afternoon, runs up and around Tampa Bay and down into Tampa to pick up then returns to Clearwater.
In case you brought your radio, they operate on Channel 66, 161.100 and the dispatcher is on 08, 160.230.

Let us know if you decode to venture over to Tampa. There is considerably more traffic there.

Regards,
Danny Harmon
Tampa

"Welcome To Florida! We're Glad You're Here"

Date: 02/21/14 06:24
Author: ChessieSystem

FWIW, Last I was aware the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete O7xx had been operating just one job/day. It is highly unpredictable. If one has little time to invest I would stick to high traffic areas near Yeoman/Tampa.

J

Date: 02/21/14 06:35
Author: DJ-12

FWIW, I found it highly worthwhile to make the 40 minute drive down to Bradenton in the morning to catch the Juice Train coming north across the river there. There's a nice little pull out by the water to hang out and wait, and if the family is with you the kids can play in the sandy area there (it even has a restroom nearby, BONUS!). You get plenty of warning of an impending movement by watching for the drawbridge to lower into position. We were then well positioned for a day at the beach in Bradenton after Daddy got his train time in.

Date: 02/21/14 19:02
Author: Baxtersta

Thanks for the comments guys.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds