Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Foreign Power in the MGA

Date: 02/22/14 05:13
Foreign Power in the MGA
Author: jmbreitigan

Good Morning, early yesterday I saw a post about CN in the Charleroi, PA. area and then heading to Loveridge mine to load. I decided to head down to the Loveridge Secondary in hopes of seeing what turned out to be N11-20 with CN # 2184 & 2445 up front by themselves. This could possibly be a first on the Loveridge Secondary. So I was really hoping to get a picture. As the day wore on and late afternoon approached I grew concerned about the sun. Most of the spots I know of along this line are not good for northbound trains due to the sun. Around 14:30 N11 got the go to head north out of Loveridge mine. I figured I had some time to look for a decent spot. So up and down the Loveridge I went between Brownsville & Masontown. I finally found a spot in LaBelle near CP MEDO. I had a place to park and plenty of room on the river side of the track to keep my distance from the track. The sun was filtered by trees to my left. Not the best lighting but the best I could do. I took a few test shots and then settled in to wait. Around 17:00, N11 arrived. By this time the sun was pretty low and some big clouds had moved in blocking too much sun. I know I have a lot of company that have been in the same situation. I was not letting this go by without taking a few pictures. In fact this would be my only chance, the train tied down in West Brownsville, PA. And as I type N11 is headed to Shire Oaks. So here is N11 for better or worse

1. & 2. N11 with CN #2184 & 2445 approaching MEDO headed northbound with 84 loaded cars from Loveridge mine. There is a detector at MEDO that gives an axle count. LaBelle road is on the other side of the train. MEDO is right near Maxwell lock & dam on the Monongahela river. I think the snow helped throw some light on the left side of the train. The conductor gave a big wave & toot on the horn. Perfect conditions, no. But I am happy to get what I consider a rare event on this line.

Thanks for looking, John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/14 05:16 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 02/22/14 05:19
Re: Foreign Power in the MGA
Author: chessiegp39

Nice catch including a Drapper Tapper!

James

Date: 02/22/14 05:58
Author: agrafton

Nice catch John on an overcast day.

Date: 02/22/14 06:00
Author: birdman

Good stuff. Can't wait to railfan that area.

Date: 02/22/14 06:07
Author: nancyg

John, I love all of your information you have with your photos. Good job on the story and pictures.
nancyg

Date: 02/22/14 06:53
Author: DJ-12

Definitely a rare catch! Nicely done.

Date: 02/22/14 07:20
Author: fireman74

Looks like 2184 is part BNSF. Lol. Thanks for sharing !

Date: 02/22/14 07:47
Author: SD70M

2184 was indeed one of the former Santa FE C40-8W's which CN has acquired in these past few years

Date: 02/22/14 08:55
Author: Out_Of_Service

nancyg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John, I love all of your information you have with
> your photos. Good job on the story and pictures.
> nancyg

real nice catch John ... i agree Nancy ... i'm an info junkie freak ... the more info about a photo/s the more i can understand the image/s plus a lot of people on here just aren't familiar with just images and sometimes a few word text can lead to info frustration because of the intriguing scene in the image ... i know most people who post on here have to do it as a hit and run due to their busy schedules but for those with time to write decent corroborating text with the photos i sure wish they would do so ... just my opinion

Date: 02/22/14 13:41
Author: TrainsandTrails

The clouds still came out very well even the sun not being out. The snow was very helpful. If it had been summer time the shot would have looked very dark. I have never seen the CN on the MGA. That is something different.

Date: 02/22/14 17:48
Author: jmbreitigan

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I was a little worried due to the sun mostly disappearing on me. I sometimes think I may be giving too much information but then I think of someone who has never been in the area. Then I think it is worth it to go into a little more detail. Nice to hear the info is appreciated.
John

Date: 02/23/14 03:09
Author: algoma11

A Drapper Tapper????

How about Draper Taper- named after CN mechanical whiz David Draper.

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 02/23/14 05:21
Author: chessiegp39

algoma11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A Drapper Tapper????
>
> How about Draper Taper- named after CN mechanical
> whiz David Draper.

excuse me for the misspell, spell check did not get it.

James

Date: 02/23/14 14:06
Author: ns1000

NICE catch indeed....!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds