Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > X ...Question on signal info.

Date: 02/24/14 07:24
X ...Question on signal info.
Author: RAILWATCH

This may be an easy & simple answer, perhaps one I should know, and did at one time, but my memory is not serving me great... My dad & I were out a couple of weeks ago & he brought up the question as well..

What are those tall " X " box symbols on either side of tracks, normally at a grade crossing, that flash used for? They're sparse, I've only seen them in North Ridgeville, Ohio and Vermilion, Ohio (although am sure they are other places)..

Whats the purpose, history, and when were they placed?

Here are three photos I've taken in the past showing them.

Thanks in advance for any info.

- Denny, Lakewood, OH

Date: 02/24/14 07:28
Re: X ...Question on signal info.
Author: toledopatch

They are indicators that the crossing protection is working properly in a quiet zone, so that the engineer does not need to blow the horn.

Date: 02/24/14 07:45
Author: RAILWATCH

Well, that makes perfect sense. My dad said he was 'uneasy' about how fast trains at track speed can creep up on you around Route 60 in Vermilion, without warning.

I'm wondering why there wouldn't be more then, as in more major grade crossings, such as Rt 252 in Olmsted Falls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/14 07:46 by RAILWATCH.

Date: 02/24/14 08:07

RAILWATCH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, that makes perfect sense. My dad said he was
> 'uneasy' about how fast trains at track speed can
> creep up on you around Route 60 in Vermilion,
> without warning.
>
> I'm wondering why there wouldn't be more then, as
> in more major grade crossings, such as Rt 252 in
> Olmsted Falls.

Only used in Quiet Zones. Don't recall Rt 252 being a 'quiet' crossing. If it is now, does it have a median divider? That's an alternative, so cars can't veer around the gates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/14 08:09 by toledopatch.

Date: 02/24/14 10:40
Author: CSXQ122

RT 252 in Olmsted Falls has no dividers, no extra gates, no flashing x, and no fake horn at the crossing. There is no extra protection and have wondered myself how they got away with it. All the other crossings in Olmsted Falls have concrete or pole dividers.

The symbol formerly known as Q122 is out

Date: 02/24/14 12:12

CSXQ122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RT 252 in Olmsted Falls has no dividers, no extra
> gates, no flashing x, and no fake horn at the
> crossing. There is no extra protection and have
> wondered myself how they got away with it. All
> the other crossings in Olmsted Falls have concrete
> or pole dividers.

There are certain locations that were 'grandfathered in' because they were granted Quiet Zone status before the current standards were enacted. But I thought that grandfathering had some sort of sunset to it, by which time the additional measures -- wayside horns, median dividers, or four-quadrant gates -- had to be installed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0614 seconds