Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Tough times for Railroaders in Chicago snow.

Date: 03/01/14 22:30
Tough times for Railroaders in Chicago snow.
Author: weather

I just got back from a week in Chicago and Madison, Wisconsin. You would have to be another planet to NOT to know that this winter ranks in the top three for cold and snow. There has been snow cover in portions of the Mid-west and Eastern Great Plans since Christmas. As I type this Sunday night, it is snowing again in Chicago and New York City and could see up to a foot Monday. While i was in Chicago and Madison, it was mostly sunny last week, highs in the 20's, lows in the teens with WSW winds around 20 to 25 mph everyday. Even though I was dressed for it, the cold wind was not favorable for spending any length of time outside. On the flight out from SFO, over eastern Kansas and looking east there was on the ground as far as you can see. I was there on family business and stayed in a motel near O'hare Airport in a suburb called Elk Grove. It is the site of one of the largest industrial parks in America and is home to many well known companies, including GE and other manufactures. I drove into the Park and saw railroad crossbucks and decided to investigate. I had stumbled up the Chicago Terminal railway. The real find was two CN&W cabooses. The first shot shows the motive power and the two cabooses. The third images shows a cut of cars with some ex-METRA bi-levels on the far end of the freight cars. Anybody know any details? Finally, you might ask why I didn't get closer? The snow here in this yard melted the day I arrived when a warm front went through when the temperature warmed to 49. That evening the temperature dropped to 18 and froze solid. The whole yard is like an ice rink despite the appearance of snow. I had my fire department boots on with an egressive trend and non-slip soles. I was sliding around like I was in a ice rink and did everything I could NOT to slip and fall. Can you imagine a conductor-brakemen working in this environment trying to stay upright while shoving mis-aligned couplers and lifting cutting levers? It has been a tough brutal winter for any railroaders working outside and trying to stay on their feet and keep warm. Photos and Text by Meteorologist Mike Pechner.

Date: 03/02/14 06:15
Re: Tough times for Railroaders in Chicago snow.
Author: NYC6001

Trains are being rerouted all the south through St. Louis and Indy. BUt e have plenty of snow, too, just not as much and not all those yards and connections to get by. Lots of money, but you don't get much time away from work.

Date: 03/02/14 07:11
Author: altoonafn

What's the story on the old Amtrak Expresstrak reefer?

Date: 03/02/14 08:29
Author: nancyg

Nice pictures. I am sure the people that make the hand/foot warmers are having a great year,

nancyg

Date: 03/02/14 08:49
Author: esprrfan

I wear spiked boots NS issues these, plus thermal lined jeans, a arctic carhart and a facemask.

Date: 03/02/14 08:56
Author: inCHI

Anyone know about those GP38's? I thought Chicago Terminal only had a GP10 and the switcher based out of UP's North Ave. yard.

That temperature drop was indeed awful. Alleys have been snow covered for weeks. The brief above freezing temperatures only melted maybe half the snow (which was piled anywhere from 1-3 ft. high) and then promptly put a coat of incredibly slick ice over everything. Working in that all day would be hell...

Date: 03/02/14 17:12
Author: EL-SD45-3632

If you were worried about the ice and snow why were you walking in the gauge of the tracks and crossing the yard tracks to take these photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0694 seconds