Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > starting out with the railroad

Date: 03/16/14 16:27
starting out with the railroad
Author: D_Shack

I live in Wilmington NC, and interested in working on the railroad. Im willing to relocate too where ever I may need to go. Im 18 with a high school diploma, clean record, and a decent work history. My goal is to work with csx in Wilmington one day. Would I be better off starting out with a different railroad. One that may be easier to get on with, to help built my resume and work history. Then eventually try to get hired on with csx. And if so who would you recommend. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Dillion

Posted from Android

Date: 03/16/14 17:33
Re: starting out with the railroad
Author: mttrainman1

While prior experience is good. CSX hires new railroaders all the time. Getting your seniority started will help down the road. Get right on the csx websight and start looking around. You state unemployment agency could also help get you lined up for an interview also but an up-to-date resume on the csx site should be done asap. There have been many good discussions on here about interview strategies so search around. Ifcyou are serious, start working on it. Unfortunately hanging around csx shops or facilities will not be helpful. Most csx employees will just point you to the csx website. If you already know some csx folks, they may be ablecto tip you off to hiring sessions and write a letter oof recommendation for you. Previous night work/on call work with little supervision is a nice rhing to have on your resume. Just dont talk about railfanning, talk about team-work, pride and good work ethic. There are some starters. Dig around and start prepping. Also look atvthe proscand cons of the job before diving in. It has been rewarding for me for app. 20 years but others will have different feelings. If, after researching you have more questions you will get plenty of advice here. Last tip, try to find what seniority district your final goal location is in. Then hire out anywhere in that district. Look at locations desperately looking for people...

Posted from Android

Date: 03/16/14 18:08
Author: D_Shack

Thank you for the advice. What job positions would you recommend I apply for?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/16/14 21:40
Author: dispatcherX

Should you get offered an interview, DO NOT identify yourself as a railfan! However, once you hire out, you will more than likely find that you are not the only railfan there. Another tip for the interview: make sure to talk them up on safety! Make them believe that you are obsessed with safety; pile on the B.S.! Just tell them what they want to hear (the company line), thank them for their time, dress sharp and wait for a phone call about a job offer.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/17/14 07:18
Author: mopacrr

I would follow the advice of Dispr X. If they have a group hiring session and starts at 8:00 A.M , then be be ON TIME. From what I have been told anyone a minute late is left out and the door is locked. Dress up,but don't over do it suit tie etc isn't necessary , I think what is known as business casual would be OK. Show an interest in the job and do some reading up on CSX or whatever company your applying for. More than likely they will give you all the reasons why shouldn't hire out,such as 24/7 job, no family life etc. They will also ask you can pass a drug test, which eliminate a lot of them right off the bat. After that, there will be tests, physical etc and I am not sure what order things happen in,but at some point there will be a face to face interview and as the saying goes, " You never get a second chance to make a first impression" so when the interviewer asks a question; give short concise answers. Come across as knowledgeable,but don't over do it. Being a railfan will come out soon enough. There is one downside, I don't know what CSX policy is,but the UP will not consider anyone under 21 for a number of reasons, and they also will give preference to military, and married men as they consider them more stable emotionally,but that's not to say your not. When I went to work in the early 70's, all they hired was 18-21 olds. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Date: 03/17/14 19:03
Author: Out_Of_Service

D_Shack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Wilmington NC, and interested in working
> on the railroad. Im willing to relocate too where
> ever I may need to go. Im 18 with a high school
> diploma, clean record, and a decent work history.
> My goal is to work with csx in Wilmington one day.
> Would I be better off starting out with a
> different railroad. One that may be easier to get
> on with, to help built my resume and work history.
> Then eventually try to get hired on with csx. And
> if so who would you recommend. Any input is
> greatly appreciated.
>
>
> Thank you. Dillion
>
> Posted from Android

why the need for a duplicate thread when you already asked the same question over a week ago and got good advice ...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3352510

D_Shack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My name is Dillion, I currently live in Wilmington
> NC. Im very interested in working on the railroad.
> Im willing to relocate, the csx im my area is
> hardly never hiring. I don't know too much about
> the job positions, and what I should be applying
> for. Other than what i've read on the internet. I
> don't know anyone who works the railroad so I have
> nobody to ask for advice. Im just really wanting
> to know what jobs I should be applying for. Also
> where would you recommend I try to move too, in
> hopes of one day working my way back to Wilmington
> CSX. And I had talked to a man the once worked in
> Wilmington as conductor and he was on call almost
> 24/7 but was home home every day, it seemed that
> he never travelled. Some of the stuff i've read
> every one is saying that you will never be home
> (always on the road). Now does it depend on what
> railroad you work on if you travel or not. For
> anybody that can help me out thank you very much.
>
> Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0868 seconds