Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Any Amatuer Radio Members on here??

Date: 04/05/02 18:43
Any Amatuer Radio Members on here??
Author: Ster2Block

My friend is my being my mentor into my introduction into this complex hobby. I have bought myself a radio and he is helping me get it together.

Anyway, he is signing me up for classes here soon (maybe summer) to get my "Technician License" to talk on 2 Meters and 440 as he calls it. I have a brand new dual band Yaesu radio. Assuming I will be able to outreach, anybody willing to give me their call letters so when I do get my license I can talk to you?? If you don't wish to leave them on here, please email me.

Please forgive me for the "off-topic" post.

Thanks,
Tony

PS: My friend's name is Kenny and he is out of Wadsworth, Ohio. His license class is "General" so he gets all around the world. I don't think I can give his call letters, I have no permission yet to do so. He sound familiar anyone?

Date: 04/05/02 18:58
Re: Any Amatuer Radio Members on here??
Author: tec_64

It is, and is isn't. You would be amazed at the number of railfans that are hams (and visa-versa).

de VE3THN

Wayne

Date: 04/05/02 20:31
Author: K8DTI

K8DTI in EM79rd here. There are a bunch of "railhams" in the Cincinnati area that get together on the 147.060 repeater while out fanning.

The info about my radio setup is at http://www.k8dti.com/ham.htm

Date: 04/06/02 03:55
Author: Deshlerrailfan

There are 2 of us in Deshler, so far, Joel, KC8QYH and myself, KC8SLN. We are on the "Henry County Machine", 147.315 MHz. K8DTI was able to "hit" the repeater from Wapakonetta, Ohio, on his last visit. I've used it from Fostoria, Findlay, Lima, Montpelier and Bryan here in Ohio.

Bellefountaine has a repeater on 147.000 MHz. Every Monday night they have a Train Net. Most conversations pertain to trains. On Memorial day 2002 they are planning a trip up here for a sample of railfanning Deshler Style. Derf included! Trains, radios and BBQ. What more do you need in life? ;-)

DRF

Date: 04/06/02 04:31
Author: vasouthern

KB4YFV present. I railfan southwest Virginia, and have an Extra class license.

Anyone know of a HF net for railhams???

Randy
Hillsville VA

Date: 04/06/02 05:22
Author: Pj

KB1DIW hails from North Central COnnecticut/Western Mass. Everything is in the truck at the moment from 5-100 watts of power from 6m to 440.

Date: 04/06/02 06:49
Rail Hams Email List
Author: Bryan_

The Rail Hams email list is at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RailHams

I try to promote use of the Rail Ham simplex frequencies of 146.490, 146.565 and 446.050. If you use PL, use 100 Hz; if you use DCS, use 152.

Date: 04/06/02 08:26
Author: nick

I may be a little far from you to talk to you direct (Martinsburg, WV), but you can send me a piece of traffic (message sent by radio). My callsign is KB8NDS. You can find my name and address by typing my callsign into a database like http://www.qrz.com.
Another site that may be of help is one of my sites:
http://www.qsl.net/kb8nds/nvtn

73 and welcome to our hobby,
Nick KB8NDS
Eastern WV ASM

Date: 04/06/02 08:50
Thanks guys!!

I will save this thread and when I get my call letters, I shall post. My main repeater will be the Akron Ohio Baptist Temple one I think. 146.610 I'm quite sure. I will hopefully be able to look you all up sometime.

Thanks guys!

Tony

Date: 04/06/02 12:33
Tony, get your ticket!
Author: Deshlerrailfan

Good luck. I know you can do it! It's really great when the weather turns bad too. You, for the most part, don't have to worry about scanner laws either. Great for railfanning, Indiana or Michigan! Looking forward to your next trip out here.

BTW both Q500 and Q506 got the MAS signal at S Deshler. YES, I got the pics! Also printed a few previous pics on Photopaper just for you!

NOW study for your ticket!

DRF,
KC8SLN

Date: 04/06/02 20:51
Author: 251F

Tony,

When you get your ticket and travel west, there are lots of hams hanging around the usual California attractions.

And, don't forget those "vanity" call signs. You can apply as soon as you get your license. Check out http://www.vanityhq.com and all the instructions are there. You can even file with the FCC online.

Go for it! And, a large group of railhams are ready to welcome you!

cheers and 73,

Daniel N7CNW

Date: 04/07/02 18:45

Thanks!! I'm glad to be getting into this hobby!

Tony :)

Date: 04/07/02 19:34
Author: nssignalmtr

KD4ARP - license sense 1990.
I mainly stay in the southwest VA and southern WV areas.

NS Signal Maintainer

Date: 04/07/02 19:49

Roger that thanks!!

Tony
PS: Please, to anyone else wanting to respond, please send email to Finda@aol.com so I don't have to keep checking!!

LOL thanks!
Tony

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds