Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Some Color for a Sunday Outing

Date: 04/09/14 03:39
Some Color for a Sunday Outing
Author: SDP40F600

My friend Adam and I ventured to North East, Pa., last Sunday in search of some color. No NS heritage units were anywhere near, so we took our chances with seeing something colorful on CSX and, maybe, Norfolk Southern.

The Bort Road bridge over the CSX tracks is still closed to vehicular traffic. That was good news because we could park on the road just before the concrete barriers and then walk out on the bridge when trains were nearby.

Traffic on CSX seemed a little slower than we expected, but there was still enough to make things interesting. NS traffic was what you would expect for a line that is not heavily used, but can still be counted on to provide some action if you are patient.

Photo 1: The lead BNSF unit on an eastbound CSX auto racks trains glistens in the morning light.

Photo 2: The first of back-to-back Canadian Pacific run-through trains. The first of those was the westbound Q165, which I expected to see based on its known operating pattern.

Photo 3: I did not expect to see the Q166, which came by several minutes later. Love that red and Beaver logos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/14 03:44 by SDP40F600.

Date: 04/09/14 03:43
Re: Some Color for a Sunday Outing

There was construction equipment on the track level next to the Bort Road bridge. We guessed that workers are preparing some sort of bracing work to support the bridge and that it will eventually reopen. The work did not seem consistent with what you might expect to see if the bridge was being replaced.

Photo 4: Lake Erie in these parts was still mostly ice and snow covered. The view was taken from the crest of Pennsylvania Route 89 south of North East. The road then descends the bluffs overlooking the lake and into town.

Photo 5: A former BN "Grinstein" leads a westbound tanker train with a UP trailing unit.

Photo 6: Even CSX power looks quite colorful on a sunny day. Here is a short westbound container and trailers train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/14 03:46 by SDP40F600.

Date: 04/09/14 05:58
Author: jim6300loco

neat pictures.
question, Why do they call the area where you were at "Northeast" when it is actually in Northwest, Pa?
Jim

Date: 04/09/14 10:09
Author: stevelv

jim6300loco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> neat pictures.
> question, Why do they call the area where you were
> at "Northeast" when it is actually in Northwest,
> Pa?
> Jim

Here you go Jim. I used to live up the road in Buffalo and was interested in your question so I looked it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_East,_Pennsylvania

Date: 04/09/14 10:48

Thanks for the compliment about the photos. To answer a question raised, I didn't follow the link but I presume the town is named Northeast because it is in the northeast corner of that section of Pennsylvania that sticks up to front Lake Erie.

Date: 04/09/14 16:28
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!!

Date: 04/11/14 18:27
Author: DundasMP23

jim6300loco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> neat pictures.
> question, Why do they call the area where you were
> at "Northeast" when it is actually in Northwest,
> Pa?
> Jim

The nearest town is called North East, PA.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1026 seconds