Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rockville Anniversary Special

Date: 04/08/02 13:03
Rockville Anniversary Special
Author: rkap

Yesterday HB90MACH asked if the train would be going slowly enough on the Port Road to shoot it at Safe Harbor, Shocks Mill, and Rockville. I do not think so. The road that used to go to the west end of Shocks Mill Bridge is closed and it is now about a 10 minute walk. Also, once you get to the bridge there is no guarantee you can reach the tree line. If the river is up at all it will not be possible. Even if the river is down there is a 30 to 50 feet of debris and soggy ground to cross to get to the tree line.

Now I have a few questions. I have heard the train will run both Saturday and Sunday. Can anyone confirm that? Also, does anyone know anything about schedule/timing? I have heard the train will pause in Enola Yard for an explanation by NS personnel on the newly rebuilt yard. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, provide an estimate of the dwell time? Thanks.

Date: 04/08/02 13:31
Re: Train both days
Author: toledopatch

There will be a train on both Saturday and Sunday.

Date: 04/08/02 15:01
Re: Safe Harbor, PA
Author: toledopatch

One other thing: I have been told by a local source that security near the dam at Safe Harbor is now tight enough that access for photographing trains is unlikely. If I go looking for the specials this weekend at all (weather forecast is marginal right now), I'm not counting on getting the Safe Harbor shot.

Date: 04/08/02 18:22
Re: Rockville Anniversary Special
Author: 5711

There are no roads that parallel the Port Road for any distance. The train will stay ahead of you if you try to chase it. I scouted several sites for photos and found few satisfactory. The train will have no photo stops. Pick a favorite spot in the morning and one in the afternoon and wait for it. That's the best bet.

The Shocks Mills bridge is inaccessable from either shore (a 10 min. walk down a private drive on the East Shore, North of Marietta and hidden in the trees on the West Shore, South of York Haven). You will need a boat.

Also, Safe Harbor is locked up tight and guarded by police with no sense of humor.

The sun angle will be bad on the West Shore when the train goes through. The roads are slow in this part of York County.

Now the good news. A list follows. These are spots I've used in the past. They are listed in the order that the train will pass them. Pick one as you will not catch up. Departure time: 7:30AM.

Harrisburg to Philly,
1) The area between Steelton and Highspire (milepost 100). View across S&H yard.
2) Hillside on Route 230 opposite the airport and near the entrance to Penn State Capitol Campus.
3) The curve at Middletown. Old Fox's Market Parking lot or the "Amshack" one block east.
4) Route 230 west of Mt. Joy. View across field behind restaurants.
5) Elizabethtown Station. Tight area.
6) Lancaster Station. Prepare for a crowd.
7) Gap. Great curve East of Strasburg. BEST BET.
8) All SEPTA stations into Philadelphia. Other areas are tight, inacessable or take forever to get in and out.

Port Road and Low Grade,
1) Perryville Station. Do not wander off the platform as this area will be heavily patrolled by Amtrak, NS and Local Police.
2) Port Deposit. Never used this area but Route 222 parallels the iron for a short distance.
3) Route 441. Some pace action from Washington Boro to Columbia.
4) Columbia. Tower and historic station on opposite sides of the iron. Forget Marietta. The tracks are on a high fill the whole way through town. You'll have to hustle to get back to the Harrisburg area via Route 30 and I83 (West Shore) or Routes 441, 230, 283 and I83 (East Shore). If you want Enola or Rockville, go there now.
5) New Cumberland. Off Main St. on 9th St. down from "The Station" train shop. Tight shots.
6) Lemoyne at "The Bottleneck". High auto traffic area as this is the West end of the Market St. bridge.
7) Bridges at West Fairview on Route 11/15. Again, high auto traffic area.
8) Iron Bridge at West end of Enola Yard.

Rockville and Harrisburg
1) Rockville West Shore. River Road (from Iron Bridge) or off of Route 11/15 at billboard(don't blame me if you get a ticket parking here!).
2) Rockville East Shore. Front St. (South side) or Ft. Hunter Park (North side). You could drive back Roberts Valley Rd. and hike back to the river for a grand panorama, but that will be the only photo you'll get all day. RailPace did a spread on this area about two years ago and a Harrisburg Guide before that.
3) State St. Bridge. Good, wide sidewalks. Within sight of Harris Tower and the Station.
4) Harris Tower. As the train returns to the Harrisburg Station.

I wont be out there as I'll be your friendly Trainman aboard the ROCKVILLE EXPRESS!

PRR 5711

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0639 seconds