Home Open Account Help 189 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Circus train at Neshaminy Falls

Date: 04/09/02 19:11
Circus train at Neshaminy Falls
Author: oaksmodelrr

This is a captured still from a dv camera. Considering that it shoots 30 frames per second, if and when digital video cameras get even better, could eventually wind up just shooting video and then stripping out the best stills.

Date: 04/09/02 19:16
Re: Circus train at Neshaminy Falls
Author: anthracite

Great shot! I sure wish that I was able to get some of the circus train, but the NH&I night photo session didn't wind up until after 11:30PM the night before. (Well worth it, though!) "C'est la guerre." Your effort makes me feel better...thanks for sharing!

Blunt and black-hearted, I remain

Anthracite

Date: 04/09/02 19:26
Author: NORAC

You must have gotten that picture around dinner time.....I saw it leave South Kearney yard around 3:00pm. I guess CSX took the train over the Delair Bridge (and hand it over to NJT???)
For the trip to Atlantic City.

Date: 04/09/02 19:39
Author: chuchubob

The train crossed into Pennsylvania at 4:35 PM. (see photo below). CSX ran the train down into Philly to CSAO and over the Delair bridge on the CSAO track to Camden and out the Clementon branch, delivering the train to Southern Railroad of NJ at Winslow Junction. It was scheduled to arrive at Winslow at 8 PM, but it went through Stratford at 8, taking 4 min 4 sec to cross Vassar Ave. Stratford had a fire engine with flood lights to give a little illumination to the train, since it was dark by 8 o'clock (see photo below). A large number of people were trackside because of an article about the train in the (formerly Camden, now South Jersey) Courier-Post.

Date: 04/10/02 02:29
Author: chuchubob

I neglected to mention in my message above that SRNJ has trackage rights on NJT from Winslow to Pleasantville and that the train was moved from CSAO (Conrail, PRSL, Reading) to NJT (Conrail, PRSL, PRR) at Winslow. I had intended to go to Winslow to watch the back-up move from CSAO to NJT, but since the train was running late and I get up at 5 AM, I decided to bag Winslow and put my photos on Webshots and Trainorders instead.

http://community.webshots.com/album/35218959Xbdywm

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?f=2&i=71498&t=71396

Date: 04/10/02 09:11
Re: Circus train-2nd locomotive
Author: OCtrainguy

I got my photos last night. I will shortly scan & share them from South Plainfield on the Lehigh Line. Did anyone catch the road number and model of the second locomotive? I cannot tell what number it was or what type of unit in the shots that I took. I know it was still in Conrail colors.

Date: 04/10/02 16:58
Author: JimHardman

Im a little confused with your pics. The top pic appears to be the old Reading bridge in Harrisburg that crosses the Susquehanna yet you talk about Phila. Please clarify.
Jim

Date: 04/10/02 17:14
Bridge picture

chuchubob's pic is the bridge over the Delaware between West Trenton NJ and Yardley PA. I think you mean the Rockville Bridge, which you will be seeing a lot of in the next week due to the run of the Rockville Limited Saturday and Sunday.

Date: 04/10/02 19:33
Circus Train Symbol

What was the symbol for the circus train from LI to AC on Monday?

Thanks

Date: 04/10/02 23:03
Re: Bridge picture
Author: Plantman

oaksmodelrr wrote:

I think you mean the Rockville
> Bridge, which you will be seeing a lot of in the next week due
> to the run of the Rockville Limited Saturday and Sunday.
>

No, the Reading bridge in Harrisburg, between I83 and the ex-Pennsy concrete bridge, is of similar stature. The one in Harrisburg is longer and does not have catenary poles.

Date: 04/11/02 05:01

Ooops, Rockville is PRR.

Date: 04/11/02 18:05
Author: JimHardman

Sorry everyone but that is the bridge in Harrisburg. I know it is not the Rockville bridge as I live but 2 miles from it. The picture of the bridge shown IS the old Reading bridge that crosses the Susquehanna. The catenary poles are still intact. The line as it enters Harrisburg runs right by the Harrisburg Hospital. Also, if you look at the base of the bridge at the water line you will see stone pilings from another bridge. These pilings are in the Susquehanna next to the Reading bridge.
Jim

Date: 04/12/02 06:44
Author: anthracite

Jim,

I'm equally sorry to say that the photo in question is not of a bridge in Harrisburg. I am familiar with each of those in question. The RDG's PH&P RR bridge never had supports for overhead RR electric traction lines. After all, RDG never electrified west of Norristown! Your mention of catenary support beams still in place indicates which bridge you confused it with. Remember that there are *two* ex-PRR bridges near Harrisburg. The former Cumberland Valley RR bridge route was electrified by the PRR. This is the line that begins at the wye just south of the Harrisburg passenger station. The ex-RDG bridge crosses about 0.5 mile south of that one.

The bridge depicted in this thread, as stated before, is indeed the ex-RDG bridge built on the former Delaware River & Bound Brook RR line from Jenkintown, PA to Bound Brook, NJ. Photo angle here is from the PA side, looking south down the Delaware. The concrete arches on this bridge are flatter than the nearly half-circle arches on the PH&P bridge. The piers of the original DR&BB RR bridge are still standing here, too. The catenary support beams are clearly RDG-style, not PRR. These even lack cross-arms for high-voltage feeder wires; Yardley substation is just across the river, and the end of electrification is only a mile away in West Trenton, NJ. Finally, the Susquehanna River is much wider at that point than the Delaware is here.

I hope that this has solved the mystery to everyone's satisfaction.

Blunt and black-hearted, I remain

Anthracite

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0752 seconds