Home Open Account Help 179 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "CN in the City" (Part 2)...

Date: 04/16/14 23:08
"CN in the City" (Part 2)...
Author: aussiehinz

Although I didn't really set out with a plan for this to occur, I ended up spending the preponderance of my train watching time on various CN lines around Chicago today. Won't bore y'all with much of it, but will offer these few representative samples of the trains I caught.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. Two surviving GTW units, each retaining their "Burdakin Blue" coats, bring the Argo-Glenn Yard transfer north through Summit IL this morning.

2. A northbound manifest train bangs across the triple track UP Geneva SD at "JB" Tower in West Chicago IL. The former rather sleepy EJ&E main line is very busy with CN traffic nowadays.

3. A southbound intermodal train, headed by BNSF and CN power, breezes through the key CN junction point of Matteson IL, in this view from the Metra Electric platform.

Date: 04/16/14 23:09
Re: "CN in the City" (Part 2)...
Author: aussiehinz

4. In the "Golden Hour," Train M399 has arrived at Homewood and waits for a signal to make a pick up before heading south toward Champaign.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 23:10 by aussiehinz.

Date: 04/16/14 23:20
Author: DJ-12

Great catch on that GTW power...still with original GTW numbers to boot! Reminded me of standing at the pedestrian crossing just east of Trowbridge Rd at MSU!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/14 11:18 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 04/17/14 00:14
Author: Out_Of_Service

nice photos

then and now comparison ...

a 1953 track diagram of Markham yard

http://www.illinois-central.net/Markham/index.htm

a present day sat image of Markham yard ... big difference in trackage and yard utilization

https://goo.gl/maps/XB5gg

Date: 04/17/14 04:27
Author: agrafton

Great images, like those Grand Trunk engines and colors.

Date: 04/17/14 08:03
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch, when I saw the GT's I was immediately thinking "nostalgia". Amazing they are still around and working together and the GT forties were straight forties. I was amazed in '99 when I caught a GT SD40-GP38 combo dropping down off one of the bridges into St Louis! This is FIFTEEN years later! Great catch.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/14 08:11 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 04/17/14 10:32
Author: WrongMain

Wow, you really got around, Summit, West Chicago, and Matteson all in one day. And well worth it, especially with the Grand Trunks. What a shot!

Date: 04/17/14 14:55
Author: ns1000

I LIKE Pics 3 and 4!!!

Date: 04/17/14 18:20
Author: DundasMP23

aussiehinz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 1. Two surviving GTW units, each retaining their
> "Burdakin Blue" coats, bring the Argo-Glenn Yard
> transfer north through Summit IL this morning.

A railfan must have but that consist together... the last blue GP40-2 and the last blue SD40-2 on a train together! Awesome catch!

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Date: 04/17/14 18:20
Author: RuleG

aussiehinz Wrote:
Won't bore y'all
> with much of it, but will offer these few
> representative samples of the trains I caught.
>
> Cheers,
>
> aussiehinz
>
Bore??? You have some great shots here. The GT units are particularly appreciated.

Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/27/14 14:00
Author: gtspatch

Way to keep the home fires burning, young man!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds