Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Berea bridge questions..

Date: 04/17/14 12:45
Berea bridge questions..
Author: RAILWATCH

Just looking for dates built.

There are three as everyone knows. The most Northern, used by NS, the middle, unused, and Southern, CSX.

A historical bridge book lists the bridges build in 1850, yet there is a stamp on the CSX bridge marking it 1909.

Was it rebuilt? Which was the Big Four, all three?

Any clarity would be helpful, as I see a lot of things related on train websites to Berea, but nobody has ever included the '3 bridge' historical information, which I don't get.

Thanks,

Denny, Lakewood, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/14 12:54 by RAILWATCH.

Date: 04/17/14 13:17
Re: Berea bridge questions..
Author: EL-SD45-3632

More than likely replaced, can't believe that a bridge built in 1850 to be rebuilt in 1909 would be able to handle the stress/weight of today's trains. My hunch, the 1909 date is a new construction date...however, I could be wrong.

Date: 04/17/14 15:55
Author: Lakota-rail

Hey Denny,

The northern most bridge was built by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern (later NYC), the 1850 date, according to Clevelandmemory.com would be correct. Also there is a book on Cleveland Bridges that also references that date. Remember the B&O and PRR both built sandstone and stone bridges in the 1850's that are still in use to this day and due to the type of construction they will probably be around for many years to come. The Mountain west of Altoona PA has many 1850's bridges in use by NS. The middle bridge from what I was told was originally a part of the Big 4, then the rails were realigned creating a third bridge, this may account for the 1909 date. I am also trying to verify that the middle bridge was also used by a interurban line before being abandoned. Alex Bruchac could probably help with that, he hangs around in Berea alot and has many books to reference. When I see him I will ask.

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/14 16:55 by Lakota-rail.

Date: 04/17/14 16:19
Author: RAILWATCH

Thanks Dan for more information. I do have the Cleveland Bridge book, that's where I pulled the original date of 1850, but was curious on the others. I'm baffled by the lack of information on all of these rail sites that refer to Berea as a great railfanning area, yet no information on nearby bridges.

- Denny

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds