Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX 'Spirit of Cumberland' back in service

Date: 04/13/02 17:54
CSX 'Spirit of Cumberland' back in service
Author: cr4122

CSX SD70MAC #700 (aka The Spirit of Cumberland) is back in service after wreck repairs. It was in Selkirk, NY this afternoon and looked like it was brand-new. Unfortunately it does not have the 'Spirit of Cumberland' lettering.

Date: 04/13/02 18:00
Re: CSX 'Spirit of Cumberland' back in service
Author: keysubdiv

is it painted YN3?

Tom

Date: 04/13/02 18:08
Author: cr4122

It was painted in fresh YN2.

Date: 04/13/02 18:14
Author: K8DTI

I would imagine it is more new locomotive than old. It would be nice if they named it for David Wund, the engineer who died in the Carlisle collision. Forget that Spirit of Cumberland stuff......

Date: 04/13/02 19:21
Author: joeygooganelli

i agree. when things happen, it would behoove CSX to keep it fresh in the railroaders minds as to not do it again.

Joe

Date: 04/13/02 20:51
Author: BCM

I'll bet it will get fresh "Spirit of Cumberland" decals on its next trip to Cumberland for its inspection... The employees at the Cumberland Shops took great pride in that particular locomotive. They had it all spruced up every year for the public tours during their annual Rail Day. They (CSX) even had a huge billboard (with CSX #700 painted on it with "Lightning Bolts into Cumberland" slogan) in town on the road entering the shops.

I really feel sorry for the family of that railroader, but what is CSX supposed to do - name a locomotive for every engineer who runs a red signal and rams a train in front of him? I feel more sorry for the conductor and hope that he is recovering...

- BCM

Date: 04/14/02 19:58
Author: rickrailrd

That would really upset me, a CSX conductor, if that engineer was memorialized by naming the 700 after him.

Date: 04/15/02 00:42
Author: Chessie_8563

I wouldnt go that far IORY. it was just a sugestion.

Date: 04/15/02 12:29
Author: JohnZuna

Another reason not to name the 700 after that engineer is the eerieness. Would you want to be a crew member in that engine knowing that someone died in there? I know I wouldn't.

-John Zuna

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.031 seconds