Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wheeling in Akron.. question

Date: 04/20/14 08:04
Wheeling in Akron.. question
Author: RAILWATCH

Just out of curiosity, how often does the Wheeling & Lake Erie use the tracks near the parking lot of Luigi's Restaurant, near Rt 59?

Who do they service, the paper company nearby?

Where does the route go, to & from? I see it leads to Medina & points West I believe.

Anyone have days & times action may be seen?

I ask because my friend who lives in Canton was eating at Luigi's last evening and sent me a cell phone pic, he said that the engines were parked near the West side parking lot of Luigi's, and crew came & started them up.

I used to work right there for a couple of years & been to Akron many times, but this is my first at seeing any action on that particular line, normally it's the CVSR I see right there, on the opposite side of the restaurant.

Thanks for any information!

- Denny, Lakewood, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 08:05 by RAILWATCH.

Date: 04/20/14 09:37
Re: Wheeling in Akron.. question
Author: erie833

That's the former AC&Y "main" from Akron (Brittain yard) to Carey. During stone season a couple of moves a day pass under the "Y" bridge, often at night. What your friend saw was probably the stone empties that the ABC left in Rock Cut siding at Summit St. after the WE crew got on. During the season a train will sit in that siding several days a week and it "usually" departs after 6pm for Carey.
RAD

Date: 04/20/14 12:25
Author: RAILWATCH

Cool, thanks for the info RAD, one day I hope to see this action, got a Luigis date coming up.

- Denny

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/20/14 13:38
Author: erie833

Drop me a line when you are coming down. Any excuse to eat at Luigi's lol
RAD
ps: sometimes a short mixed freight will come west out of Brittain and pick up the empty stone, again usually evenings.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/20/14 18:03
Author: nomosantafe

erie833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drop me a line when you are coming down.
>Any excuse to eat at Luigi's lol

I agree! I worked for the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic RR 1/94 - 6/98. Had many lunches at Luigi's while the passengers went to Quaker Square.

I had lunch there 3 years ago when I visited the CVSR. Just up the hill from the CVSR Akron Station.

Nomosantafe
Ft Worth, Texas
"Where the West Begins"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 18:06 by nomosantafe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0802 seconds