Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Finally catching up on photos...

Date: 04/24/14 01:48
Finally catching up on photos...
Author: robbie

With a local rail photo contest coming up, I'm finally going through the hundreds of photos I've taken in the past several years to see if any are halfway decent. So, here's a sampler of some I'm considering. Scary how several years of photos results in just a few that actually seem what I'd consider fairly nice! I intentionally try to avoid here "typical" train shots, roster shots, etc (of which I have many), as I prefer shots that show life happening around the train... As always, being what I'd call experienced amateur, I'd love any suggestions for improvement! (Note: All files reduced for size and ease of uploading...) -- Robbie

1: "Last Stand for Alto:" About a month before Alto Tower would be decommissioned and the PRR signal bridge torn down, a Norfolk Southern freights passes in Altoona, PA.

2: "Goodbye:" The farewell banner from Alto's operators is blown by a passing intermodal a week after Alto's closure in Altoona, PA.

3: "Through the Fields:" A Norfolk Southern freight passes through northern Ohio farmland; Attica Jct., Ohio.

Date: 04/24/14 01:50
Re: Finally catching up on photos...

4: "Restricting:" The motorman of a Baltimore light-rail gets the signal to head into Penn Station; Baltimore, Md.

5: "Over the River:" A CSX freight crosses Marsh Creek outside Gettysburg, Pa., soon after a heavy snowfall.

6: "Sentinel:" A B&O signal remains active in its waning days at Brunswick, Md., a day before the closure of WB tower and the signal's replacement.

Date: 04/24/14 01:52

7: "Nothing Left:" WB Tower in Brunswick, Md., had lost all operations the previous day, but an operator remains on duty in case of malfunction in the new system.

8: "Looking Up:" Children watch as the Nickel Plate #765 turns on the wye at Bucyrus, Ohio.

9: "Awestruck:" A boy watches as the Nickel Plate #765 changes crews in Cresson, Pa.

Date: 04/24/14 01:54

10: "Sunset Approach:" A C&O-vintage approach signal warns of the distant stop on a July evening in Columbus, Ohio, with the skyline in the distance.

11: "Streaks:" A Norfolk Southern gets the highball through Glendale, Ohio, weeks before the B&O signals are replaced.

12: "Drawing a Crowd:" All ages and backgrounds gather at Horseshoe Curve to watch one of the first steam locomotive runs over the Alleghenies in decades.

Date: 04/24/14 01:55

13: "Pure:" The Nickel Plate #765 passes through Keiferville, Ohio, on its home rails returning to Fort Wayne, Ind.

14: "Night Watch:" A full moon greets the restored AC Tower in Marion, Ohio, on a summer evening.

15: "On the Job:" A CSX track worker repairs the former Erie line through Marion, Ohio, as night falls.

Date: 04/24/14 01:57

16: "Passing By:" The Nickel Plate #765 is seen through the window of Marion's AC Tower.

17: "Line Cleared:" The #765 passes AC Tower in Marion, with the tower's original levers in the foreground.

18: "Trackwork:" Despite the falling snow, a work crew continues trying to restore the Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railroad in Napoleon, Ohio, after years of neglect.

Date: 04/24/14 01:59

19: "Crossing:" The Nickel Plate #765 rides its home rails across the ex-B&O CSX Toledo Sub at Leipsic, Ohio.

20: "Father and Son Time:" An afternoon outdoors brings the Amtrak "Pennsylvanian" across the Rockville Bridge in Harrisburg, Pa.

21: "Gone Fishing:" Anglers don't seem too worried that a passing Norfolk Southern will disturb the fishing below Rockville Bridge in Harrisburg, Pa.

Date: 04/24/14 02:01

22: "Face to Face:" A boy watches as a Strasburg Railroad locomotive switches its train in Paradise, Pa.

23: "Full Moon:" Streetlamps and moonlight illumine the grade crossing on Main Street in Wauseon, Ohio.

24: "Fast Freight:" A late-night Norfolk Southern rushes westbound through Wauseon, Ohio.

And that's all I'll annoy folks with now -- sorry for the tons of sometimes years-old pics, and thanks for looking!
Robbie Ketcham; Defiance, Ohio

Date: 04/24/14 04:58
Author: CNJ1524

Fantastic Shots, Thanks for sharing!!!

Date: 04/24/14 07:52
Author: Lakota-rail

Nice, different perspective in your shots, enjoyed them.

Date: 04/24/14 07:54
Author: TrainCatcher

A diverse mix. I really like what you did with #'s 15, 18 & 22. I need to work on taking more of these types of shots.

FDF

Date: 04/24/14 08:48
Author: esprrfan

See picture #8 is why crews hate these steam trips. There is no reason on earth those kids need to be that close. I can't wait to the the number of "mentally challenged" people that will stand in a active main next month on the steam trip out of Elkhart, Chicago and Detroit.

Date: 04/24/14 09:32
Author: EL-SD45-3632

esprrfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> See picture #8 is why crews hate these steam
> trips. There is no reason on earth those kids need
> to be that close. I can't wait to the the number
> of "mentally challenged" people that will stand in
> a active main next month on the steam trip out of
> Elkhart, Chicago and Detroit.

And some of them are "railrans" as well. A "need" to get just the right angle for the perfect shot.

Date: 04/24/14 11:23
Author: RNP47

What an outstanding series of photos.
Nice Job.
Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/24/14 12:43
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/24/14 18:29
Author: nancyg

Outstanding photos, love them all. Good luck on the photo contest.

Nancyg

Date: 04/24/14 20:23
Author: esprrfan

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> esprrfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > See picture #8 is why crews hate these steam
> > trips. There is no reason on earth those kids
> need
> > to be that close. I can't wait to the the
> number
> > of "mentally challenged" people that will stand
> in
> > a active main next month on the steam trip out
> of
> > Elkhart, Chicago and Detroit.
>
>
> And some of them are "railrans" as well. A "need"
> to get just the right angle for the perfect shot.

I can understand that too as long as they know its not the only train moving out there. I know I'm not the only dreading too passing this special. Bet it wouldn't take too many fans with tunnel vision ending up under a passing train to put a end to the program

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0955 seconds