Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > History of this little purple Alco?

Date: 04/22/02 07:28
History of this little purple Alco?
Author: CRmac80

I'm hoping some folks on TO can help me with the lineage of this "cute" Alco switcher.It's now located at a new aggregate/gravel company in Akron,Ohio on the site of the former PRR/PC/CR S.Akron yards.Looks to be an Alco S-2 with a Cat engine and remote control installed.Just curious about the original owner.LTEX is Larry's Truck and Electric over in the Youngstown,Ohio area,a scrapper/resale company.Thanks in advance for any input here!RAD

Date: 04/22/02 07:32
Re: History of this little purple Alco?
Author: MRSLIDES

Great shot RAD! Not much to add--you have it down. S2m with Cat, leased from LTEX in Youngstown. When did you shoot it?

Date: 04/22/02 07:37

John,shot this on April 7th.It has been in town for a while,but stored behind a fence.My guess is that it will be a shade of "limestone white" before too long!RAD

Date: 04/22/02 08:31

RAD:
thanks, one last question--where exactly is it in Akron? I might fly out of school on my lunch hour and bag it. Seems silly to have extensive coverage in far away places like Australia and Mexico and not take the time to shoot something as nice as that inyour own back yard. I take it faces east.
John

Date: 04/22/02 09:39

It faces east John,and is located behind the old Firestone plant off S.Main St.I walked in on that Sunday,shot it about 1030-1100am.I don't know if that is the "normal" spot it will be at.There is a trailer at the entrance you might want to stop by first and let them know you are there during a weekday as a lot of trucks buzz in and out.Good luck!Roger

Date: 04/22/02 16:18
Here's the history

rad:
thanks for the info. here's the answer to your question..info from Frank Vollhardt:

Unit has no less than 3 builder and rebuilder numbers.
Alco 69945 6/42 S-2
NC&SL 6
in/57 it became L&N 2106
in /65 became L&N 2306
reired 2/74
to Ry. Supply Co/
So. Rails Inc rebuilt it to zombie status serial 8004 9/77
to Clear Coal 2151 Orgas,WV
to GE rebuilt again in Cleveland 8-90 GE serial 89968 8/90
to Eastern Association Coal
painted in Peabody Coal co. 601 colors
to LTEX 601 3/97
to NL&S 7/00 Akron,O.

Date: 04/22/02 16:55

Many thanks John!
RAD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0271 seconds