Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Remote control usage at Stanley yard

Date: 06/04/02 16:44
Remote control usage at Stanley yard
Author: M.Schwiebert

I had the opportunity to pass by CSX's Stanley yard this evening and noticed that CSX is preparing to turn some of the flat switching done on the north end of the yard to the "remote control" (beltpack) units. They have erected signage at the grade crossings (both public and private) noting that remote controlled locomotives are in use - and that the locomotives may be unmanned. I also saw two locomotives outfitted with the necessary equipment - GP38-2 2525 & SD40-2 8222. The locomotives are easy to spot as they have a "cabinet" with a pair of doors inset into the nose (when looking at the locomotive head-on the "cabinet" is on the left side). It appeared that the 2525 was being used for training runs tonight as it was spending quite a bit of time kicking one tank car around.

Date: 06/04/02 17:34
Re: Remote control usage at Stanley yard
Author: DeshlerRailfan

Heard that from a conductor/switchman that works 3rd trick there. I sure would prefer that extra pair of eyes in the cab if I were on the ground. A friend of mine from NJ wants the operators of these remote control units to have the same license he has. He's a BLE man, just in case you couldn't figure that out.

What happens when some teenage radio/computer geek figures out how take control of one of these from his or her laptop. Makes you wonder about the 8888 just over a year ago!

DRF

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0311 seconds