Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > .

Date: 07/15/14 14:28
Author: Appalachianrails

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/14 20:51 by Appalachianrails.

Date: 07/15/14 14:46
Re: Train watching spots around Charleston, SC?
Author: howeld

I'm not from there but when I was on vacation I sat here(4276 Railroad Ave Ravenel, SC) for several hours and no one even looked twice.

Date: 07/15/14 15:22
Author: MEKoch

The Amtrak station in North Charleston gets all the CSX traffic

Date: 07/15/14 15:41
Author: boejoe

CSX Bennett Yard (south of Amtrak Station) can be seen from I-26 SB and I-526 EB but the yard itself is inaccessible. Likewise, NS Seven Mile Yard (to the south and east of Bennett Yard) is off limits but can be seen from Montague Ave overpass. Amtrak action is morning (Palmetto NB) or evening (Palmetto SB) Silver Meteor (NB/SB) arrive at very inconvenient times. Auto Train NB/SB pass in darkness plus station is not in best of neighborhoods. All these above mentioned areas are in North Charleston (separate city) Assuming you have a car, East Bay St Yard in Charleston is a consideration. Lots of auto carrier activity to/from BMW plant near Spartanburg. Parking is available near the base of the pedestrian walkway to the Ravenel Bridge offering views of rail activity, Cooper River, USS Yorktown, etc. Yard is switched by State Port Authority and units are being repainted for Palmetto Railways. Many times, high and wide loads - both inbound and outbound can be seen. A couple Westinghouse/Siemens Schnable cars are based there along with a variety of KRL HD flats - if you're lucky.

Date: 07/15/14 16:06
Author: TrainChaser

The Amtrak station is decent and safe. But the place where you can see almost every train is at SY, which you can access via Piggly Wiggly Dr. PW Dr dead ends at SY, just stay right around there and you'll be fine, in daylight. At SY, there is the CSX/NS diamond with the NS at the east end of Seven Mile, and the north end of Bennett Yd. Also, you'll see the CSX Florence-Sav line, plus the line that goes out to the Andrews Sub, which will have an F Train plus several locals.

Posted from iPhone

Tim Rich
S. Ogden, UT

Date: 07/16/14 09:09
Author: exopr

There's great restaurants all around Charleston. Here's one that my wife and I really liked:
http://www.pagesokragrill.com/

If you like Navy ships be sure to check out the Yorktown.

Date: 07/16/14 09:10
Author: aehouse

Appalachianrails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all help guys. Can any of you recommend
> some good places to eat there as well?
>
> -JE

Charleston is absolutely loaded with superb restaurants, many serving the delicious local "low country" cuisine. You'll find too many from which to choose in the historic district, but one of my favorites has always been "82 Queen," located at 82 Queen Street (of course).

Art House

Date: 07/16/14 13:50
Author: Lackawanna484

aehouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Appalachianrails Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for all help guys. Can any of you
> recommend
> > some good places to eat there as well?
> >
> > -JE
>
> Charleston is absolutely loaded with superb
> restaurants, many serving the delicious local "low
> country" cuisine. You'll find too many from which
> to choose in the historic district, but one of my
> favorites has always been "82 Queen," located at
> 82 Queen Street (of course).
>
>
> Art House

82 Queen is a great suggestion. Charleston is definitely one of the better places to find good food in the country, that's for sure. Good choices at most price points.

I've also enjoyed Husk Restaurant and Bar on several occasions.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds