Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A difference of decades, LV to IC

Date: 07/15/14 17:53
A difference of decades, LV to IC
Author: erie833

Just for fun I thought I'd post a 1977 shot and yesterday's 2014 shot taken from the same bridge. Can't get the same wider view in today's photos due to tree growth. In the '77 view note 3 close tracks, the 104 track, the northbound main, and the southbound main (train is on the S/B). At the time this was a Conrail/Chessie joint operation and this westbound Conrail train was considered a southbound from AY in Akron,Ohio through Warwick, to Orrville. On the far side of the train are the former EL mains and the City track, all still being used by CR during that time. All traces of the EL are gone behind today's IC train, replaced by trees and buildings. The trio of Conrail 6 axles, Alco C-628 6735, the former Lehigh Valley #639, U-25-C 6503 (still in PC black), and Alco C-630 6761 (ex Reading 5308) will be ample power for this coke train providing they all stay running. Like yesterday's soon to be gone Conrail paint schemes, today's IC is slowly fading to CN black, white, and red.

RAD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/14 17:54 by erie833.

Date: 07/15/14 18:08
Re: A difference of decades, LV to IC
Author: aussiehinz

Nice, Roger. Kind of indicative of the overgrowth everywhere in the East & Midwest. Vegetation control is largely a thing of the past.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/15/14 18:24

Note the pole shadow pointing towards the ex LV unit. The pole/code lines required the vegetation to be keep clear along the pole line path. With today's communication lines being buried, there is no need to keep the jungle cut back. And to think we use to complain about those "poles being in the way" in our photos lol.

RAD

Date: 07/15/14 18:25
Author: PCTZ

Amazing Roger, the vegetation makes it unrecognizable!

Date: 07/15/14 18:54
Author: agrafton

So three CR engines with three different ex RR's..?
Cool photo.

Date: 07/15/14 19:02
Author: NSClevelandLine

It's pretty awesome you've put so many miles and years in around the CLE area that you have all sorts of before and after photos from a ton of places. I'm always wondering what an area looked like "back then" and you help me out with that sometimes!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/15/14 19:21

Looking deep in the photos the Interstate sign is in the same location in both photos although on a newer support in the 2014 shot. "76 West Akron" is probably a newer sign- I'd guess the '77 sign had the reflector beads (or whatever they were called). Yellow "Exit only" bar under the 2nd sign is new. A few utility poles remain in the same locations in both photos.

Yes, a true "Heritage" Conrail train with ex LV, PRR, and RDG units. Too bad I'll never see today's NS LV, PRR, and RDG H units all together here.

RAD

Date: 07/16/14 13:51
Author: ns1000

NICE comparison...!!!

Date: 07/17/14 04:58
Author: jmbreitigan

Thanks for the past & present pictures. Must have been nice to take those open shots compared to today.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds