Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A pair of unique NS SD60E's in Kentucky

Date: 07/16/14 14:49
A pair of unique NS SD60E's in Kentucky
Author: EMBell

I am slowly (verrry slowly) getting caught up on processing the overwhelming amount of stuff I have shot this year so far...here is the next installment in that seemingly bottomless pit of work...

During a 4 day period back at the end of June, both of the "special" NS SD60E's made appearances here in KY, and I was lucky enough to be able to grab a few shots. On June 27th, the GORAIL 6963 was the leader on train 375, and then on June 30th the Veterans unit NS 6920 was the leader on train 285.

I have been able to shoot the 6920 a couple of times before, but this was my first time seeing the GORAIL unit. I have to say after seeing it in person that I probably wont be making in special efforts to see it again...just something about that Green paint that is not really that appealing to me. In any case, I am glad I was able to get it...

Below are a few samples, and the entire set in much higher resolution can be found over on Pbase at this link>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsocs_heritage2014

#1 06/27/14 GORAIL 6963 leads NS 375 as the train climbs out of the Kentucky River valley at Burgin, KY on the 1st District of the CNO&TP

#2 06/30/14 285 passes through the cemetery at Lawrenceburg, KY. I was sort of glad to get this shot in a bittersweet way. My day is buried here (just off to the left out of frame) and was a lifelong railfan, not to mention a WW2 and Korean War veteran.

#3 My favorite shot of the series. THe 6920 leads train 285 through the farmland at Talmage, Ky just a couple of miles from our home.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/14 14:50 by EMBell.

Date: 07/16/14 15:20
Re: A pair of unique NS SD60E's in Kentucky
Author: joeygooganelli

I heard Terry Bradshaw already bought a grave stone. Didn't know he also just bought a plot above the NS to be able to train watch.

Joe

Date: 07/16/14 16:02
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Recently saw two of these NS units in Liberal, Ks. Is the cab extension above the windshield for the crew's grip storage?

Date: 07/17/14 08:38
Author: esprrfan

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Recently saw two of these NS units in Liberal, Ks.
> Is the cab extension above the windshield for the
> crew's grip storage?

No just wasted space, its paneled off straight up from the top of the windshield. They put in a useless rack for grips that is just inside the front door. I've never used it nor seen it used.

Date: 07/18/14 09:07
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0621 seconds