Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Two killed by K277 Trash Train

Date: 06/16/02 19:10
Two killed by K277 Trash Train
Author: chessie-2117

Follow link for story. As usual, deepest sympathies to the crew. Sooner or later, folks will get the hint.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/06162002_nw_trainax.html

John R
http://www.trainweb.org/phllocal

Date: 06/16/02 20:25
Re: Two killed by K277 Trash Train
Author: BMH

You have to watch the news clip that is in the right hand corner of the story.

Quote, "800 thousand ton train" "Apparently the two men might have thought that the train was on a parallel track" "One of the Men turned around and gave the engineer a hand gesture"

Where do they find these people (News reporters)

$%^&ing unbelievable.......

Serious note, thoughts go out to the crew

BMH

Date: 06/16/02 21:56
Author: csx6574

I worked with the engineer on that run just this past Thursday and have worked with the conductor a few times, both good guys. Yesterday afternoon, I was getting a Form D on the Popes Creek Secondary and the "NI" dispatcher (which controls both the Popes Creek and the Trenton Line) told me what had happened. The two men were waving at the train apparently thinking it was on another track. I have to say that of all the places I work on the railroad, the east side (Philly/Jersey) seems to be the worst in terms of people along the tracks doing stupid things. I also heard the "800,000" ton report on the radio on my way home tonight. That is a pretty heavy train! Thoughts out to the crew.

Date: 06/16/02 22:25
Huh?
Author: blair

csx6574 wrote:

> ... the "NI" dispatcher (which controls
> both the Popes Creek and the Trenton Line) told me what had
> happened. The two men were waving at the train apparently
> thinking it was on another track.

Huh? The linked report said:

>>
Two men were struck and killed by a freight train in suburban Philadelphia on Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
<<

Sunday afternoon. Broad daylight. I know I am stepping out of line to think that intoxication "may" have played a role in this, but just how intoxicated does one have to be to think that he is waving to a train on another track, when that train is actually on the same track? I'm waiting for the coroner's report. Do keep us informed.

Date: 06/17/02 05:12
Author: NORAC

I was out and about on those rails yesterday.
The whole area is bad and now I believe the fatalaties on that stretch of track between Langhorne and Cheltenham is now 4 in the past few months.

Besides yesterday's deaths, Q173 had a suicide at Cheltenham a couple weeks ago, a few months ago a SEPTA worker was killed when his cherry picker bucket fouled the CSX main and of course there was the human conductor who was riding on top of a freight train when he came in contact with the 11,000 volt SEPTA trolley wire...I never did hear if he lived or not.....this place is bad news with people using it as a short cut or riding ATV's along it....and of course there is the one local railfan who frequents this site that shot video of the kids throwing debris under a train between CP Nesh and CP Berry.

As for the crew, I saw their name in the computer, I never met them.....but my thoughts do go out to both of them.

Date: 06/17/02 15:56
Re: 800,000 tons
Author: toledopatch

Most reporters are just like the general public. They have absolutely no clue as to how much trains weigh or anything else about how railroads operate. They may overhear a number like that, or misunderstand it when the weight is given to them, and then they have no background from which to question the information.

The only way to change this is to call the TV station (or the newspaper, or whomever) and report the errors. Corrections have a way of inducing reporters to ask more questions.

Date: 06/17/02 19:13
Author: stans_railpix

John;
It is a darn shame that the local police do not take walking on the tracks seriously.
Has anyone ever seen them chase people walking on the tracks ??
Stan
Stan'S Railpix;-A-Rail-Photo-Gallery !!
http://www.trainweb.com/railpix
Transportation Industry News Page;
http://www.trainweb.com/railpix/news.html

Date: 06/18/02 14:25
Author: nscolsmp6

And to think these two fellows might have lived if more people recycled...

Later,
Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0725 seconds